Chapter 19

So apparently my entire story is "R" rated now which kind of irritates me because now it will be so much harder to find, and I can't figure out how to change it. Grr. Well, hope you like it!

"Baby, I'm going to have to let him in here, and unless you want to meet him naked, go in the closet and get the first thing you see on, please. Go now," I whispered to her, then jumped off the bed quickly and started for the door. I knew my dad didn't like to be kept waiting and I prayed Briar had enough time to clothe herself before he decided to burst in. He sometimes had a huge lack of patience, especially concerning me.

I saw her race off the bed out of the corner of my eye and head in the direction of the closet. I had the door handle in hand, and was about to turn it, then heard him knock again, the loud sound resonating off the wood of the door.

"Yes, father, yes, come in," I said as I opened the door. I looked up and saw the grave expression on his face, and knew that everything was not well.

"Son, I have some disturbing news, and I felt I should tell you in person right away, before you found out from someone else," he said in a solemn tone.

"What is it?" I asked. If it was bad, I'd rather know right away and get it over with.

"It's your friend, Theo. He was the one behind the attack the other night. He hired the bounty hunter to come after us. He slipped into the castle through a back entrance and was suppose to kill us all in our sleep, but of course, that didn't happen, as you well know. The bounty hunter was actually an old associate of his fathers, a man named Sawyer." He paused briefly and then said "I am sorry to have to be the one to tell you, son, I know you two were close."

I didn't know what to say, I was shocked. Why would my best mate do that to me, and my family? I just didn't understand; it was the ultimate betrayal. I had been nothing but kind to him over the years, helping expunge his rather large criminal history report time and again since he couldn't seem to stay out of trouble. Maybe it was my fault for not seeing him for who he really was; a scumbag.

For him to turn on me for blowing him off once in a while was absurd and ridiculous, and he would pay; yes, he would pay dearly for trying to harm me, my family, and my new bride.

I had momentarily forgotten about Briar, and felt her presence by my side after I had a few moments of deep thought. She pressed herself into me modestly, aware of my father's presence in the room.

I felt your emotions, my love. You are very upset. I know you needed me, she communicated mentally, while running her hands down my back.

"And who is this beautiful creature, my son?" my father asked quietly, looking at Briar with a small smile playing upon his lips.

"This, father, is your future daughter in law, Briar Rose. It's as if she was made just for me," I confessed to him solemnly.

"See how she just came over to me¸ simply because she felt that I was upset and needed her?" I asked, astonished. She continued to surprise me every moment. I turned slightly to look at her, and she had her face down-turned with a bright scarlet blush coloring her cheeks. 

"Father, please meet Briar," I said, while taking her hand and placing it in my fathers. She looked up hesitantly, and smiled, and bowed slightly.

"Your majesty, it is so great to meet you," she said meekly.

"Nice to meet you too, sweet Briar. Oh, my dear, you will fit in amazingly well here. You are absolutely beautiful and already have my son's heart; I'm sure in no time the county will be worshiping you as well."

I looked at my father, surprised. I never knew he would accept her this quickly, but I was so glad that he did. Yes, my woman would make a magnificent Queen, and even father could see that.