Chapter Five

Sol finally arrived. His heart pounding, hatred burning, wanting more than anything to rush in, but that was foolish. But as his keen elfin eyes surveyed his surroundings, calculating his entry, he didn't know whether or not he was going to keep from it. The opening was clear, only darkness was his cover, anyone with eyes would see him crossing the yard, and were-rats had superb night vision. To make matters worse, two wooden guard towers stood high on each corner of the encampment. This wasn't going to be a secret mission.

He closed his eyes and tried to relax, which was near impossible with his mind so clouded by anxiety. The magic was happy to speak, but his connection wasn't clear. Gritting his teeth, he rudely forced a stronger bond, something he was taught never to do, he was going to have to apologize later. "Show me," he said, and the magic obeyed. It revealed a snake curling under some leaves nearby, trying to escape the chill in the air. He wasn't worried about that. It showed him a small bird somewhere behind and above him. "No, no forward!" he said. "Show me rats - rats upright upon two legs!" Sol was getting a bit frustrated now. The magic seemed hurt, Sol had never spoken to it in such as brutish tone before, but it did what was asked.

High above the ground stood one in a tower, two on the ground, one standing near the entrance. Sol ducked low abruptly cutting off his vision and waited, but he was tired of waiting. He had time, but Raniah did not; she needed him now. With a burst of thousand sparks, Sol ran from his hiding place straight into the heart of the area, knowing full well the dangers of what he had just done. He was ready to burn everything to the ground anyway, he might as well just get it over with.

"Rats!" He yelled at any within earshot. "I know you are here, show yourselves!"

"Ooo!" Arden said. "Look what we have here."

"He commands us," Fisk spoke now. "Who do ya think you are, elf. So alone."

"Stop playing games, I know you have her," sol yelled letting sparks fly from his eyes.

"Games, he says," Arden said.

"Her?" said Fisk. "Who is this her you speak of ... she sounds lovely, must be for you to come all this way."

"Bring her before me, or so help me I will burn you all!" Sol was burning now with hatred, blinded by it.

Another rat stepped out from the cavern one with a large tin can upon his head. Sol would have thought it a peculiar headdress if he cared about such things at the moment. The rat shuttered, not out of fear, but because he couldn't help himself, a tick that stayed with him from youth. His name was Jax.

"Y-yes," Jax said. "I'm s-sure you think so, but at this v-very m-moment, an arrow is pointed d-directly at your s-skull. You will be dead before you can cast a spark our way!" Despite his silly appearance the rat clearly wasn't stupid. "You h-have foolishly entered our home, lone elf, and demanded of us s-something we clearly know n-nothing about."

"Why should I believe you rat!?"

"P-Perhaps she ran away, elf. C-Clearly you don't have good M-Manners."

Yes Jax of the house of Gully was an unusual rat with dirty brown fur and a noticeable twitch. Despite his simpleton look, he was brilliant and very much the Mangari's planner. Nothing was done as a group without consulting him, even Ta'nnah sought his countenance, he, after all, worked as her adviser and was thought of as a second in command, though he held no actual title. He had scouted and suggested this old mine a few years back, and for a while, it was the prime real estate. He was the one that got them out of a great many problems in the past. A valued member despite his stutter, no one ever complained, not to his face anyway.

Sol would not listen to any more lies. His eyes burned with fire, his hand burst with flame. He was ready to burn everything, one blink and everything in his path would die. He was so blind that he did not hear the movement behind, did not sense the grey rat with a massive stone raised high, and it wasn't till the rock struck him that he understood what had happened and how foolish he truly was. Jax had distracted him. I'm sorry Rainah... this thought echoed throughout his aching head, and by the second blow, he was out cold. No fire. No thoughts. No dreams. Nothing. He had failed.