Chapter Two

Immediately the two of them went to work building the camp. First thing first, Sol walked around inspecting the immediate area for danger, when he found none, he went to work on the fire. Sol gathered wood while Rainnah scrounged up the kindling, and when they had it all set, Sol, using his magic, set them ablaze. The fire licked at the wood happily tasting the minerals and burned brightly in thanks. The two of them, then, took out the supplies for the tent, and spent the rest of the hour placing it in order, once set, Rainnah spread out blankets to sleep upon. Once done, Sol inspected the area for the second time. Satisfied that there was no danger at hand, he went to work on making the much needed Mana Tea.

Mana Tea is made from a rare purple root that grows only in a few locations in the whole of the planet of Parthas. Doh'vane happened to be one of those places and so the Les'fure family capitalized on it. Yes, there were other teas and other potions that were like it, but none were the same, the potency was as if mana itself took the form of this plant, and so it was that this Mana wrought quite a large sum of gold from neighboring cities, which accounted for over half the Les'fure family's wealth. Sol would see none of it now, but wealth wasn't everything.

Sol went down to the river and retrieved a cauldron of water and brought it back to the fire, at which time he put into the cauldron ten purple leaves. Since they had not the supplies needed to properly hold the cauldron above the fire, Sol once again resorted to using magic. He levitated the cauldron so that it floated just inside the fire, and held it there suspended until it began to boil. The smell of the tea floated into his nostrils and he breathed it in deeply, the magic was already beginning to work. Rainnah who wasn't a magical being enjoyed the aroma but couldn't quite grasp the power behind it, all she knew was that when Sol used too much magic it drained him, and when he drank the tea it restored his strength and alertness.

Rainnah watched him drink. His tired face began to lift almost instantly, a new life visibly grew across his face.

Magic was a mystery to her. How did it work? she had read many books and listened carefully to Sol whenever he'd tried to explain it, but could never fully grasp the concept, and perhaps she never would. The world was a scary place for someone like her, being stuck in a world of magic without the ability to use it was frustrating. She tried not to let it get to her and most times she was successful, but on nights like this, it was very difficult.

She closed her eyes and relaxed her mind, she thought of her new life a family of her own and tried to interact with the magic as he did, but it was of no use, she was only human. The only thing she could sense was the fading warmth of the dying fire and the chill of the night creeping back with vengeance.

Her frustration rising, she opened her eyes. Why was she born human? A witch would have been more acceptable but she was nothing of the sort. She just could not understand why Sol cared so much for her.

Stop that! She scolded herself. She disliked when she fell into this line of thinking, it depressed her, and she did not like being depressed. She lowered her head letting her hair fall passed her face like a veil. For a long moment, she stared at the ground as if it were going to reach out and fix everything, then with a sigh she blew her frustration into her bangs and watch her hair dance in the wind of it.

She remembered what her father taught her: Dream big, never give up, never lose faith in yourself, work hard and the impossible just might happen. Sol was the proof her father spoke the truth; so was the fact that they were headed to Herein. She should be happy; so why wasn't she?

She wanted more than anything to scream, and perhaps that would ease the tension building within her skull, it could also bring them unwanted company so she decided against it.

###

Laimon walked along the riverbed tussle resting upon his shoulder. They had been out all evening scouting the area for potential travelers, and now that night was drawing near, it was time to turn back with nothing new to report. Travelers never stopped anymore, not for four weeks, people had caught on. Laimon thought it best to just move to a new location and catch a new set of people unaware, but that was not his decision to make, and so they stayed.