Chapter 6

The days seemed to fly by for Kayla while the guys were away.  She'd fallen into a rhythm since she'd been living "alone" and she was quickly back to a normal teenage routine.  While she'd been in public school, Kayla had made many friends.  Most of them she'd lost touch with once she'd began home-schooling, but there were still a few that she spoke to regularly.
Devyn Teller and Olivia Johnson who two of the girls that Kayla was most close with.  They were also seniors at Kayla's old school, however due to Kayla skipping a grade and a half, they were both almost two years older than her.
"Have you spoke with any of the guys," Devyn asked as she buttered the garlic bread before putting it into the oven. They'd been hanging out more frequently while the guys were gone. Kayla always felt weird having friends over. Taylor and Isaac had reassured her over and over they didn't mind, but she still felt as though when they were home, they preferred the privacy.  While they were away she took advantage of having the house to herself; it also gave her comfort that she didn't have to spend too much time alone.  Tonight they were making spaghetti for dinner.
Kayla shot Devyn a look.  She knew what she was really asking was if she'd spoken to Zac, "No, I called Zac a couple of times but I never heard back from him.  Taylor and I have texted a few times but they've been really busy and really stressed," she finally replied.  It was the truth.  Taylor had sent her a few texts early on during this trip away asking her not to take it personal if she didn't hear from him.  This wasn't new, she knew the drill when they recorded or toured.  Personal time was hard to come by.  
"This has to be so hard for them, everything with the label, I mean," replied Devyn.  She was right.  The last year had been a lot for the guys to handle.  They weren't sure how much longer they'd be able to keep going with the way things seemed to be playing out.  They loved creating and performing music.  It was very much a part of what kept them alive and happy.  Lately, though, it'd turned into a stress that was taking a toll on them and everyone around them.
"Dude, I can't believe Taylor is gonna be a dad and is getting married!" Olivia said as she sprinkled the Parmesan cheese she'd been grating into a bowl.
"Tell me about it," Kayla replied, "At least it's with Natalie, though.  Of all the fans I've met and the few girls Taylor has dated, I for sure like her the best.  She's a sweet girl; I think they'll make great parents."
"What about her friend?  Zac's girlfriend, what's her name?" Olivia asked taking her seat back at the island.  Kayla took a glance in Devyn's direction before replying.
"Her name is Kate," she said with a small chuckle, "But I don't really know her that well to really judge her.  She seems okay.  She's usually pretty quiet, at least when I've been around."
"Do you blame her?" Devyn said sarcastically.  She quickly caught herself as Kayla widened her eyes at her.  She was relieved when she noticed Olivia looking through a magazine.  It wasn't that Kayla didn't trust Olivia, she did, but not with something so personal.  Not with something that could potentially cause a lot of unnecessary drama with the band if it ever got out.  She'd confided in Devyn early on, when she and Zac first started seeing each other.  Mostly because she felt like she was going to burst if she didn't tell someone, but also because she knew she could trust Devyn with anything.  
"Why do you say that?" Olivia asked looking up from the magazine at the girls.  
Devyn didn't miss a beat, though, "Because Kayla is his best friend.  It's like Cameron Diaz and Julia Roberts in that one movie, what's it called?"
"My Best Friend's Wedding," Kayla replied.  She smiled.  It was her favorite movie and she had to admit, before she started "seeing" Zac, it did remind her of them.
"Yeah that one, you know, the 'bride and the woman she'll never live up to'.  Kayla being the best friend Kate will never live up to, I mean." Devyn finished.
"Well I don't know about all that," Kayla laughed.
"No, she's right," Olivia said as she started setting the small table in the kitchen where the girls had decided to share their meal, "That boy loves you.  Maybe not like that but you definitely are more than just a friend to him, you can totally tell."
"We're best friends," Kayla said, "We have been since we were little.  So even if that were true, it doesn't matter.  We're friends and Kate is his girlfriend so he can't 'love' me that much can he?"
She paused as she finished her sentence.  It was a guise for Olivia, but somehow her own words had struck a nerve.  She hadn't allowed herself to think much about Zac and their situation since she'd spoken with Diana.  She felt a calm and peace she hadn't in a while and she knew letting the thoughts back in would only bring her sadness, and that was the last thing she wanted. "Come on, let's eat," she said hoping to avoid anymore conversation that involved Zac.