Chapter Three

It was a Saturday.... A perfect Saturday you can say as it was also the birthday of Karla. Barb had gotten her tons of gifts in respect to the big day. Some hair bows, fully patterned dresses, shoes, and a lot more.

My baby is turning six..

Barb had baked the perfect cake. It was pink and white, just the way Karla loved it.

Stephanie saw something though, just a little smudge however of 25% grayish black.

Yep!! That's accurate.

"A smudge on the cake??!!" She muttered. It was to be perfect for the "perfect" birthday. However, Karla was still naive. Any attempt to clear up the smear will ruin it more, so she left it and went to get dressed.

Karla had her locks curled up with a pink hair bow, while Stephanie wore her denim jeans and a ted cotton top.

It's just a birthday.

Stephanie however invited her two best friends from school... Dylan and Emily. They had been friends since forever.. Grew up in the same neighborhood until they just had to leave because of her dad's new job.

Still they grew in touch... Stephanie hadn't yet changed school neither did Karla. The distance however had remarkably increased to twice the usual time for movement.

Happy Happy Happy Birthday.
Everybody wants to wish you a Happy Birthday.

"Say your wish, dear." Barb said standing right next to her and holding up the cake with lit candles for the few friends and family that came over to see and slowly bending over for them to be blown. Stephanie stood some distance away, capturing the colourful moment.

"Do you really want to know my wish Mum?" Karla asked looking somewhat frightened.

"Yes dear... We all do" Barb replied with a reassuring confidence.

"I wish.... I wish Akeela would be human again so we could play till hours end" Karla spoke with terror in her voice each words breaking up and then being firm again.

As she said these, a mighty hush fell on them suddenly, the east west wind blew with a tremendous effect on the house. The blinds danced around, and the family pictures fell one after the other until all of them broke. The wine glasses clanged each other, and some broke. Darkness descended, and the lights went out.

Ahhhhhhhhh!!!! Mummy!!!!

"Everyone stay still the lights should be back on. I'll get the flash light" Simon said. The flashlights were in the bedroom cabinet, and he hadn't been with his phone. He traced his steps but did hit a glass table that laid in the centre of the room.

Stephanie had checked the time and it was exactly 12 noon.

Great! Just when I thought it was 7pm.

The lights had been back on, and Stephanie noticed footprints. Black smoky footprints.

Surely she just had to be the most meticulous of them all..

"Mum... Dad.... Look!" Stephanie shook as she pointed her index finger to the direction of the steps. They headed upstairs.

With that, Simon followed the directions a step at a time until the heard abrasive knocks on the door to Karla's room. All the while, Karla had been tucked into her mum's side.