"When you talk to her today, you have to mention me," he pleaded. Rolling my eyes, I proceeded to shut the door.

"Fine, I'll ask her what she thinks of you and if she'd be interested in going out sometime." Suddenly, Ron pushed the door open, giving me an enthusiastic bear hug that lifted me off the ground. I feared he

might squeeze me so tightly that my bones would crack. As he gently placed me back on the floor, a rush of air refilled my lungs.

"You owe me for this."

"Absolutely, consider it done—whatever you want, whenever you want it," He assured.

"I'm going to hold you to that, and if she turns you down again, don't come crying to me." I said.

A wide grin appeared on his face as he moved with boundless energy downstairs.

For the next few hours, I immersed myself in the task of putting the finishing touches on my room, meticulously arranging pictures on the walls, and hanging elegant curtains. As I put the final touches on my sanctuary, a voice from downstairs called out my name. It was Lori, mentioning something about the mail. Curiosity piqued, I made my way downstairs to the dining room, where an unexpected absence greeted me - my mother was nowhere to be found. My gaze fell upon the table, where a medium-sized, rectangular package, bearing my name, lay waiting to be unveiled. The return address, proudly declaring "Pennsylvania," revealed the sender to be none other than my grandparents. Their unwavering commitment to remembering my birthday, unlike my own family, always brought a smile to my face. Taking the package in hand, I retraced my steps towards the stairs, hoping to catch a glimpse of my mom one last time, but she remained elusive. With a mixture of anticipation and intrigue, I carried the package to my bedroom, eager to uncover its contents. Seated upon my bed, I carefully tore away the wrapping paper, revealing a quaint wooden box. Resembling a jewelry box, it held within its confines a heartfelt letter.

Addressed to me, the letter began with warm wishes for a Happy Birthday, accompanied by sentiments of missing the radiance of my smile. It went on to explain that, despite my mother's instructions against purchasing gifts, my grandparents had decided to share something of immense sentimental value instead. Within the letter, they described two precious pieces of jewelry that had been passed down through the generations. The first, a gold necklace adorned with a charm known as "The Crescent Moon," symbolized the divine protector of motherhood, women, and healing. The second symbol, nestled beneath the Crescent Moon, was that of "The Lotus Flower," embodying the emergence of light and beauty from the depths of darkness. As I examined the necklace closely, its authenticity became apparent. Crafted from real gold, the weighty pendant featured an intricately engraved face, its eyes glinting like precious gemstones. While not a conventional portrait, it seemed to depict a cubic head, complete with eyes, a nose, and a mouth. Overwhelmed with gratitude, I sat down to pen a heartfelt thank-you letter to my grandparents, preserving their love and thoughtfulness in writing. Placing the necklace and bracelet back into their protective box, I glanced at my digital clock, only to find that the time read a mere 10:30 am. With ample time to spare before meeting up with my friend Trish, I decided a shower was in order, preparing myself for the afternoon that lay ahead.

Emerging from the shower, my damp hair cascading down my back, I searched my closet for the perfect outfit. Given the casual nature of the occasion, just two friends spending time together, I settled on something comfortable yet stylish. As I straightened my hair and slipped into my chosen attire, I couldn't help but steal glances at the box containing my grandparents' gift. Curiosity got the better of me, and I opened it once more, contemplating whether to wear the jewelry or not. Despite the nagging fear of misplacing or losing such cherished treasures, I couldn't bear to let the opportunity slip away without at least wearing them for a few hours. "It's just one afternoon," I reassured myself, determined not to let anxiety overshadow the joy this gesture brought. After adorning my right wrist with the bracelet and delicately placing the necklace around my neck, I felt an indescribable connection to my grandmother. My grandparents had been my steadfast guardians throughout the years, and in that moment, I yearned for their presence more than ever.