5

"Are you kidding me? Owen Grady is your brother?" He moves his body away from me, and I roll onto my back to face him. His eyebrows are creased together.

"Yeah he is. What's the big deal? Do you know him or something?"

He stares at me like he's seeing me for the first time. I'm missing the closeness we had before—because of the body warmth only.

He smiles and shakes his head. "Yes. I know him. He saved my life that day. Claire Dearing is my aunt."

"Claire Dearing is your aunt?" This is nuts. What are the chances?

Although when I think about it, it does kind of make sense. Zach and I are both relatively young to have been offered these coveted spots on this island. Claire is the head of the organization that arranged for this mission. I guess it pays to know people in high places.

"Did Owen never tell you about me?" Zach doesn't sound offended, just curious.

"He doesn't really talk about that day. And when I've gotten information from Claire, she always just refers to you guys as 'my nephews'".

Now I'm putting all the puzzle pieces together. So this is the kid that survived Raptors, and Pteranodons and a T-Rex. I've always known Claire wasn't telling me everything that happened that day, but she would always give me more information than Owen. He still thought of me as a child.

"I really love your aunt," I continue. "She was so good for Owen. I was bummed when they broke up."

"They broke up? I didn't know that."

I nod. "A few months before I came here. I guess I forgot that you would have already been here at that point."

I roll back onto my side. "Now I need my big spoon. I'm freezing."

He snuggles back into me and immediately places his hand back on my stomach. I love it there. I think his hand was made just for the purpose of resting on my skin.

I am actually starting to get tired now. It must be at least two in the morning. I think Zach is tired too because he is quiet for a long time. But then he says one more thing.

"Can you just do me one favor?" I'm too tired to respond, so I just nod. "Please don't tell Owen that I slept with his sister—even if it is platonic. I have a feeling he would still kick my ass."

I chuckle softly. "I guess you better not do anything to piss me off then."

He whispers in my ear, "I won't." Then I think I feel the faintest touch of his lips on the back of my shoulder—so light that I question if I really felt anything at all. But it sends a warmth throughout my entire body that can't be denied.

I wake up with the sun a few hours later and panic initially. I'm in unfamiliar surroundings, I'm cold, and I'm having a hard time breathing. The panic subsides, though, when I recall the events of last night.

Zach's and my legs are inter tangled—mine smooth, and his, coarse and rough. His hand is gently gripping my shoulder that's closest to the floor—his forearm resting between my breasts. He's holding me tightly which is making it difficult for me to take a deep breath.

I'm not upset. It feels nice, having him want to be close to me—even if it is just for warmth. I know I need to figure out my feelings for him. I also know that it wouldn't matter. He's made it clear he has no interest in me. Yes, he has shown that he has the capability of being polite, but I always have that sinking feeling that he would rather not be around me.

I feel like I understand him better after last night. Being on this island is, of course, setting off old emotions and insecurities, making him lash out at everyone. When we get back home, I will make it my personal mission to ensure that he gets counseling. He has some issues that he needs to address. But until then, I'll just lie in his warmth a little longer.

He is lightly snoring, and his chin will occasionally bump into the back of my head. It makes me smile.

When I hear the sound of my stomach rumbling—neither Zach nor I have eaten since lunch yesterday—I decide to check and see if our T-Rex visitor has left.

As I begin to roll onto my back, I feel Zach jump slightly, obviously as startled as I was to be waking up in this situation. I look at his sleepy, glassy-eyed, confused face, his messing hair, and his moist lips, and I stop thinking.

I lean over and bring my lips to his. He immediately responds, kissing me back. The skin of his nose is cold against my cheek but the air coming out of it is the complete opposite.

I feel his warm body as I run my hands up his back and into his hair. He shudders at the feel of my ice cold hands, and I try not to grin. I surrender to the heat of him and hold him tighter. In the process, our bodies are melting together. We are so close, it is becoming difficult to tell where I end and he begins.

He rolls on top of me, and I feel him moan in my mouth. He is raising himself slightly on his forearms so he doesn't crush me, but he feels too far away. I wrap my arms around his neck and pull him down to me. Because of the sudden, unexpected movement, we end up crashing our teeth together.

It causes us both to start laughing. "Oww," I say while rubbing my teeth with my finger.

Zach turns serious and looks down at me. I have a sinking feeling in my stomach. Why did I kiss him? What's he going to say?

At the same time, we both blurt out, "I'm sorry."

He quickly rolls off of me and looks over the railing. "She's gone. We should go now."

He can't look at me, and I know this fact because I can't stop looking at him.

As we are riding the bike back to camp, I hold Zach extra close, but I'm not sure if he notices because he doesn't say anything.

There is no denying it now—I like this boy. That kiss was unbelievable. And I feel completely pathetic.

He has been disrespectful...and rude...and mean. I can't believe I'm becoming one of those girls that falls for a boy who treats her like dirt. But Zach is so cute, and his lips are so soft. I'm a goner.

We wordlessly decide to eat as soon as we arrive back at camp. Zach grabs a cold meal and heads directly to his bedroom, closing the door. I sit at the table by myself, eating my breakfast alone, hoping and praying that he will come out and join me. He doesn't. Tears are threatening to emerge, but I do not let them.

I don't see him the rest of the day. After I eat, I go to bed, deciding that I need to catch up on my sleep.

When I wake up in the afternoon, I come back to my usual senses. On second thought...I do not like this boy. That was just my hunger and tiredness messing with my mind. I refuse to be someone's rag doll. Zach is nice when he feels like it, and he treats me like shit the rest of the time.

No more.