2

I wake up early the next day, excited to explore the island. I finally feel like myself again after that miserable boat ride. I clean myself in the outdoor shower before pulling on pants and a fitted t-shirt.

I do my best to not wake Zach up. Considering his normal self, I would hate to see him when he first wakes up. I don't even make coffee, which is normally my life line.

I'm heading toward the gate when I notice a chain and padlock around the latch. What the hell? I don't think dinosaurs know how to open a closed gate. So what's the need for a lock?

I see that the padlock requires a key, and I remember the large circle of keys hanging on a hook in the house. One of those must be it. I rush to the house and return quickly. The only problem is that there are about one million keys on this circle, and I don't have a clue which one works. I take a deep breath and start trying them one by one.

By the fifteenth key, I am actively cursing with each failed attempt. Number sixteen: "Shit!" Number seventeen: "Damnit!" Number eighteen: "Fuck!" Number nineteen: "Fuckety fuck fuck fucking moherfucking piece of fucking shit"

"What the hell are you doing?" I hear behind me. Zach is standing ten feet away with arms crossed, looking pissed. "Are you trying to go out there? By yourself?"

"Well...yeah." I suddenly realize how stupid that is. I try to justify it anyway. "You were sleeping. I didn't want to wake you. I have my watch," I add.

"You never leave this camp by yourself, understand?"

"Don't speak to me like a child! I'm probably older than you are!" I yell back.

"Maybe, but definitely not wiser."

"Fuck off, Zach." I shock myself. I've never said that to anyone before...ever. He doesn't look surprised. He's probably had that said to him many times. "I've been wanting to see this island forever, and you're not going to stand here and tell me I can't." I start fumbling with the keys again.

"First of all, the key's not on there." I groan in frustration before throwing the whole bundle on the ground. Zach waits for my tantrum to be over before continuing. "Second of all, you can't go alone. And that's not me being a dick. You could legitimately die out there."

I do see his point. "Okay. Then when can you go? Unfortunately you are my only option."

Why am I being so hateful to him? This is not my normal nature. He makes me so angry, but I barely even know him. However, I need to try harder if I'm ever going to get along with him. My grandma always said 'You catch more flies with honey than vinegar'.

"We can go later. I have work to do." And he simply walks away. What an asshole.

I spend the morning following Zach around for two reasons. One: I need to learn the routine here. If there are no dinosaurs in need, I may as well do something. And two: I figure he'll get annoyed with me eventually and take me out of the gate.

After a few hours of watching him check all the equipment (twice), he finally speaks to me. "Would you mind backing off for a minute? I mean, don't you have 'vet' stuff to be doing?"

"I checked out all my equipment when I got here yesterday," I say with a shrug. "So I am completely free...all day."

He gives his signature sigh and runs his hands through his hair. I realize he would actually be cute if he weren't such a dick. "Fine. I'll take you around the island. But I don't have all day."

I can't help it, I squeal. I'm actually going to get to see real dinosaurs! And not behind a cage! I'm a little nervous about seeing a T-Rex or Raptor, but if we bring a tablet, we should be able to avoid them.