24: mildly confusing

Start from the beginning

-

Clayton didn't much like Calum, especially on nights where he'd join us at family dinner and would make Bruno laugh harder than he has in a while. I knew it was because Clayton wanted to be the one making Bruno laugh, and I also knew that it was because Clayton had been going through a lot lately and just wanted all of Bruno's attention on him.

In all honestly, Clayton was being a bit of a baby lately and it showed at times like this when he was pouting and barely eating his food as Calum and Bruno joked about children. Bruno liked to talk about how easy I was to raise since I was just a great listener, and Calum thought that idea was funny because I don't listen much now.

Calum also found it funny because Kade wasn't much of a listener regardless if it was one of their good days or not. Bruno just ate it all up and continued to talk about my childhood because he loved that. Loved seeing me getting embarrassed over it, loved pulling out the photo books, and just loved talking about me any chance he got with anyone who would listen. He'd even slide in a couple jokes to make the person laugh because he loved making people laugh too and just seeing the joy on their faces.

Clayton loved it when Bruno was like this, but usually those moments were between them two not someone else unless Bruno was at work. The two just haven't been themselves lately.

I slowly chewed on the piece of chicken in my mouth, glancing between the people seated around the table. As much as I would like to have us all around this table more often, Clayton's pouting and scowling was starting to get annoying.

I rolled my eyes, listening in on Bruno talking about the first time I met one of my childhood friends. Her name was Zoe, and although I no longer talk to her, I wish I did. We were practically inseparable back in the days when we'd run around school together or our own backyards. She had it a bit worse than me, single dad trying to raise her the best he could from the little bit he had. I at least had two dad's, who although were both very young at the time, still provided for me (even if we spent a lot of time at grandma and grandpa's).

Calum was soaking it all in, a soft smile on his face as he nodded. His plate was empty, but it seemed that he didn't mind as he kept sipping at his drink and giving Bruno his undivided attention. At some point, his hand had made its way to my knee, his thumb rubbing gentle circles into the skin there.

I glanced between him and my dads, happy to see them together, happy to be in this soft of an environment when everything had been so hectic lately. I looked down at Calum's hand, ready to place mine atop of his when I noticed the bruising and the scrapes all along his knuckles. My heart sank to my toes. A huge part of me had forgotten that he even fought anymore, that boxing was the way he got his paycheck each week.

I quickly looked to his face for any more bruising, noticing the faint purple on his jaw and cheekbone. How had I missed it before? I could feel the worry building up inside of me, but I shoved it away as I looked to my parents sitting across from us.

Bruno noticed my wondering eyes, his smile small but worried, yet he showed no sign to the others and kept babbling on about my first birthday party.

"Bruno, honey, I think Calum has heard enough for tonight. Maybe we should clean up and let them rest up?" I could hear Clayton's jealousy through his teeth, even if the words came out sweet. Bruno stopped talking, blinking at him slowly before noticing the same thing I had and nodding his head.

"You two do look mighty tired, some rest would do you both good." He stood quickly, gathering plates and shuffling off to the kitchen where I heard the tap cut on.

"I should really go help with the dishes, I feel like I'm imposing all the time." Calum said to me as he began to stand.

"That won't be necessary, we've got it under control. Go upstairs now." Clayton smiled tightly before going into the kitchen after Bruno. Although I couldn't see them, I knew their faces both supported deep frowns. The arguing would probably begin later.