Chapter 19

Gideon woke up to the unfamiliar sounds of someone tossing and turning. It took only a second for things to register and realize it was only Jude in bed with him murmuring fitfully in his sleep while his body jerked against his.

He might have successfully fought temptation last night, but only because he hadn't touched him. Jude's body writhed and that's when he realised that Jude wasn't ok.

"Jude" he reached over and pulled him tight against his chest gently. "Wake up Babe, you're having a nightmare."

His head turned from side to side "We'll be good I promise. Don't separate us." Jude pleaded in his sleep, whimpered then suddenly lifted his head and looked around with unseeing eyes.

"Jude," he said softly.

He turned and focused on him.

Zero saw the exact moment Jude realised where he was.

"I'm sorry." Jude murmured, ducking his head and not meeting his gaze "I have to go." He tried to pull away but Gideon wouldn't allow it.

"Tell me about the dream," he asked brushing a hair with his hand.

"Don't worry, it's nothing." Jude waves a hand trying to relieve Zero front the worry in his face.

"Jude."

He sighed hesitantly eased back into his arms then after a hot minute said "When my parents died, I heard the social worker tell my uncle that if he didn't take in all three of us then we'd go to foster care. Separate homes."

Zero held Jude tighter his chest perfectly moulded to shelter Jude's back, he inhaled the scent of that hair and fought his body's response and desire building. A desire to ease his pain the only way he knew how to bury himself deep inside his body and think of nothing except him.

But even he knew better than to think sex was the answer to anyone's problems. Especially trauma, "But your Uncle kept all of you." He said.

"Yes I should be grateful, I got to keep an eye on Sophie and Steven kept his eye on me so we could keep each other in check so we wouldn't be sent away."

He massaged Jude's shoulder with one hand trying to ease the tension and pain "Carl would never let you be separated."

Jude laughed "I was like twelve then, I didn't know that and we didn't know if Uncle Carl would take us in. He was young too and mom was always lamenting about how he stayed out too late and didn't eat right." And at that moment the alarm Jude had set last night so he could sneak out of Zero's room before his Uncle and Linda ventured downstairs went off "Served by the bell." He murmured with a grin and once again tried to roll off Gideon.

Though he should've let him go he allowed his heart to overrule "Jude."

"Yes?"

"So, same place, same time tonight?" he extended the invitation flirting with his whole body.

Jude grinned even wider and leaned down to kiss the corner of Zero's lips.

Showered and dressed for the day with the dog and cat trailing behind him Jude headed for the kitchen. Expecting to be alone stopped short upon seeing his uncle.

Uncle Carl was holding the newspaper up in front of him. First moving it to an arm's length then back directly up close his face. He repeated this about three times before growling in frustration and tossing the paper across the table. "Damn it!"

"What's wrong?" Jude asked joining him "Did your favourite horse lose a race or something?"

"I'm losing something else alright?" Uncle Carl muttered cryptically

Jude narrowed his gaze "Uncle Carl is everything alright?" he placed a hand on his shoulder "are you ok?"

"What makes you think something's wrong?"

"Well for one, you're crankier than usual."

He snorted "and Linda is not?"

"We aren't talking about her and it's not Linda I'm worried about. It's you."

"I'm fine" he leaned back and folded his arms across his chest defiant and angry. Uncle Carl was not in a power suit and it was a weekday. This was odd and it made Jude even more certain that something was wrong.

"Bull," Jude said walking over to his chair and stared him in the eye "You're keeping something from me, the family and soon we'll figure it out. But you're being nasty and mean to Linda and I'm not going to stand for it."

"Damn you gays and women sticking together."

Jude gasped "wow Uncle Carl, remind me not to take you anywhere with people. You're so offensive."

The man remained stubbornly quiet "Ok if you don't want to talk about it we won't but be careful with your antics or else you'll end up sad and alone at seventy." He said voicing his deepest fear. He glanced at the full mug in his hand and the empty canister on the table with the word 'salt' scribbled on it.

Jude bit down on his cheek wondering if he should mention this error or not. Finally, he said, "Did you pour salt in your coffee?"

"It's not my fault the damn stuff is side by side on the counter" Uncle Carl said defensively glancing away from his youngest nephew's direction.

"Hmm," he agreed sceptically at the same time his phone lit up with a lot of messages in the family group chat with his brother and sister.