Chapter Thirty-two

Start from the beginning

Tom slowly walked closer. With another flick of his wand he turned the body over. Judging from his appearance it was a wizard in his early twenties. He was staring up at Tom with a mixture of fear and defiance evident in his eyes. Tom gazed contemptuously back at the man for a moment. Then he cast a silencing charm around them and summoned the wizard's wand, catching it with his free hand. With another wave of his wand he lifted the muting charm.

"Who are you, and what are you doing here?" Tom hissed venomously.

"I'll never tell you," the unknown wizard spat.

Tom raised his eyebrows just the slightest bit, a condescending sneer forming on his face. "Well, we shall see." Brandishing his wand once again he hissed, "Crucio."

The wizard gasped, shortly trying to refrain from screaming but Tom's curse was relentless. Wave after wave of agonizing pain tormented the wizard's body, and Tom listened to the man's involuntary screams, a satisfied gleam in his eyes. He kept his wand pointed firmly at his victim, contemptuously watching the terror on the other's features.

Finally he lifted the curse.

"Who are you, and what are you doing here?" he repeated, his voice icy.

The wizard panted heavily, gasping for air, but didn't reply.

"Haven't had enough yet?" Tom asked, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

A look of horror crossed the man's face but before he could respond, Tom's Cruciatus Curse had hit him again, this time possibly even worse than before.

Tom watched the man with blank eyes. "You know, I can do this for hours. I don't mind. If I have to listen to your pathetic whining for the rest of the night, I'll do it." He shrugged.

The wizard's eyes were shining with agony, and Tom spotted a hint of wavering in them. He intensified his curse once again before he abruptly lifted it.

"Who are you, and what are you doing here?" he asked again, his voice deadly calm now.

The other wizard panted for air. Between his gasps he stammered, "I was only told to observe this house."

"Who told you?"

"I don't know."

Tom quirked his eyebrow and raised his wand again.

Seeing this, the other wizard winced, pleading, "No, please don't, I really don't know who it was. I received an owl from a staff member of one of the asylums." He gasped for air again.

"Which asylum?"

"The one in Newcastle. Please, that's all I know."

Tom narrowed his eyes. "And what exactly were you supposed to do?"

"Just observe this house and report about it."

Tom stared at the wizard for another moment. Then he pointed his wand at him again and entered the other's mind effortlessly. If the wizard had ever had any mental barriers at all, he had definitely lost the strength to keep them up through the Cruciatus Curse.

Tom mercilessly ripped through the wizard's mind, thoroughly looking for any hint of further information. He quickly pushed past the predominant memory of the agonizing pain his torturing curse had caused and carefully searched the deeper layers of the man's mind.

But the wizard had obviously told the truth. He didn't know any details. Finally Tom retreated from his mind. The wizard was still panting heavily, his face contorted with pain and terror.

Tom cast him a last condescending glare. Then he brandished his wand and hissed, "Avada Kedavra."

*****