Chapter twenty-two

Dedicated to graycieglows and damilola_susan. Thanks for the support.

***

"Well, I just told her." Peter said.

I was confused at first but then realization hit me on what he actually meant. Peter just admitted that he liked me. I couldn't believe it. It was so touching.

"Wait, wait, I don't get." I feigned ignorance. "Who's this her you're talking about?"

He chuckled lightly and then a smirk formed on his lips. "Don't pretend like you don't know I'm talking about you."

"Oh." I looked away shyly and rubbed my right eyes with my right fist. This was actually the first time that a guy would tell me that he liked me and not just any random guy, but a guy that I liked as well. So you can imagine how shy the moment made me feel.

"Yeah, I really do like you a lot." He rubbed his palms together. "It has been long coming. I just like the way you talk, walk, smile, even frown, I just..." He scrambled through his words. "And I want us," He pointed at himself and me. "To be like... a thing."

"Like for us to be boyfriend and girlfriend, is that what you mean?" I asked, even when the answer was pretty much obvious.

"Yeah." He smiled, "So Daniella, can you uh..." He scratched the nape of his neck. "Can you do me the honour of being my girlfriend." His voice sounded softer than normal and it made me feel some kind of way. I couldn't put a name on the feeling, but it sure was good. Maybe amazing was a better word.

I smiled sheepishly and smacked his left shoulder. "Can you be less formal Peter? You're making everything awkward."

"I was just joking." He grinned and reached for my right hand. The feel of his hand as it interlocked with mine was warm and I thought his hands were too soft for a guy. "Be my girlfriend Daniella." He said more confidently and less awkwardly.

I looked at our interlocked hands and looked up at him quizzically. "Why are you holding my hand?"

"I don't know." He shrugged, "Maybe by holding your hands, you'd say yes to my request."

I laughed. "And what makes you think so? You think you have any effect on me?"

"Uh-huh, I know I do. I'm sure you like the fact that I'm holding your hands right now."

"You wish!" I rolled my eyes. "In fact, let go off my hand."

"If I do, you'll regret telling me to leave you."

I shook my head. "Peter get over yourself. You need to be humble."

"Tell me you won't regret it."

"I won't. regret. telling. you. to. let. go. off. my. hands. Peter. I won't! Now can you let go?" I tried freeing my hand from his hold but he wasn't willing to let go. The truth was, I liked the fact that Peter was holding my hand, but at the same time, if he did let go, I wouldn't feel anyway. I mean, it was just hand to hand contact, right? There was nothing more to it. Okay that was me just deluding myself. If Peter left my hand, I would bleed and cry internally. Holding hands with one's crush was different from every other random hand to hand contact. This one was more divine. It sent shivers down one's spine.

People walking by started to look at us weirdly, probably wondering why two students, particularly a boy and a girl, would be walking and holding hands by this time of the day in their school uniform.