preface

Out on the palace grounds stood the tall, magnificent trees, almost as if their leaves were swaying to the melody that played through the indoors of the glistening palace. It's blue color resembled ice and it glowed as though the sun was setting right behind it. The sound of people chatting and laughing in their most expensive garments could be heard, as the little children ran about near the trees. 

One by one, person by person, people would be accepted through the large main doors. Inside, sat the worthy. Those who were fortunate enough to be accepted were mingling with others while plates and plates of food were constantly being added to the long table that stood in the corner. This was said to be one of the biggest parties yet.

Even as happiness radiated off the room, there sat twelve year old Princess Arabelle, hand against cheek in boredom. These sort of events were never her favorite and yet there she still was, watching  the adults with the smiles on their faces. Sometimes she wondered if they were forced to smile as she had not layed eyes on one being without one.

Hidden away from plain sight was Arabelle's older brother, Nathan and his best friend Vincent.  The two were clearly up to no good, examining the small bottle together with a look of amusement. It was an odd looking bottle, with scratchy texture and disproportionate base. The two scattered as they began searching for their victim. Nathan had by chance found her, and just like that had quietly poured the substance into the glass of a nearby server who was carrying it to the direction of their victim.  

Sad was it, when fifteen year old Nathan followed the girl outside by the shrubs, only to find that their plan had backfired. There stood the innocent girl, coughing up blood as if the substance was magic, instantly pulling her to her knees, gasping for air. Nathan stood, frozen in horror as realization hit him of how wrong it all was. This was never meant to have happened.

He slowly took a step back, only to bump into Vincent who had a confused yet concerned look in his eyes. The girl was in immense pain but somehow managed to turn her face slightly, getting a glance at her poisoners. It took just that one glance for Nathan to bolt out of there, and straight to the palace corridors. He was searching for something, but what that was, wasn't easy to tell as he grabbed it blindly and then dashed out one of the back exits. 

His heart rate began pulsing as he started to fully understand what had just happened. The prank--it was suppose to be a prank and yet it was nothing the label had said it was. They were deceived by the odd looking bottle and he knew that if he didn't do what he was about to do, everything would be over. 

As he was running, not once did he think of Vincent who he left, unsure of what to believe or Arabelle, his sister who he was suppose to meet up with after the party. He didn't think of what the people at the party would think or say or what his parents would do but in the moment, it didn't matter. 

What was done, was done. Nathan knew what would happen if his involvement was exposed and he knew he couldn't risk it. Now was the moment he had been thinking about for years. It was time, and he knew damn well it was.