18. The Train Ride

Summer seemed to fly by and before Scarlet knew it, she was off to Hogwarts again for her sixth year

Euphemia and Fleamont took the liberty of dropping the five teens off at the platform. Before they boarded the train, Euphemia had squeezed each child to death and planted a huge kiss on each of their cheeks.

"Be safe, you five! And no trouble!" She said in a stern voice.

"Yes, Mum." James sighed.

When Euphemia turned her back, Fleamont slipped some dungbombs into James pocket with a wink. The train hooted and the couple waved them off, pushing them onto the train. The five wandered around the small corridor for a while before stopping at their usual compartment at the back. Remus slid open the door and they all trundled in.

"Need any help with your trunk, my dear?" James teased.

Scarlet rolled her eyes. She had been hoping that James would let the situation that happened when they first met go, but alas, she was bitterly disappointed.

Not too far into the journey, the trolley witch came along, happily handing out sweets to the first years.

"Anything from the trolley, dears?" She asked kindly.

Scarlet fumbled for the few galleons that Euphemia had given her.

"One pumpkin pasty, please," She noticed James making a face at her, "And a licorice wand as well." She sighed.

Sweets clutched in her hand, she flopped down back on her seat. James made to grab for the wand but Scarlet quickly pulled away.

"Ah ah ah! What's the magic word?" She asked as if speaking to an eight year old (which he was, mentally).

"Wingardium leviosa?" Scarlet gave him a look, "Fine, please?"

"Much better." She nodded, chucking the licorice at him.

It was only then that the two noticed the other three boys looking at them with amused faces.

"What are all of you staring at?" Scarlet asked with a bit of hostility, a light blush coating her cheeks.

"Oh, nothing." Sirius smirked.

-=+=-

"Why is it James? Is it plural? Is there more than one Jame?" Sirius asked, slouching in his seat.

It had been three hours since the departure of the train and already Peter was leaning against the window while Scarlet was gently resting her head on James' shoulder, both fast asleep.

"Just shut up, Sirius." Remus muttered, turning the page in his book.

"He's right Padfoot, quit while you're ahead." James chuckled.

At that moment, Scarlet woke up.

"What are you three idiots talking about now?" She yawned as she sat upright and stretched. James pouted a bit at the fact that the female no longer had her head in the comfortable position while Scarlet found herself missing the warmth of James' body heat.

"Only my undying love for you." James recovered and winked at her while the dark haired female simply rolled her eyes.

"Anyway, I'm going to go check on the girls, I'll come back in a bit." Scarlet stood up and left the compartment, leaving the boys to themselves. 

Closing the compartment door with a sigh, Scarlet started wandering the slim hall of the train to find her friends. As she passed each room, she glanced in, checking. She only stopped when she crashed into something. 

"Oh my Merlin! I'm so sor-" She looked up and met eyes with Milo, "Milo! Hi!"

He smiled a bit.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to bump into you, I wasn't looking where I was going." He apologized.

"Oh no, it's fine, I wasn't paying attention either!" She smiled, "So, how have you been?"

"Good, thanks. I-" He stopped talking and looked at something over her shoulder.

Curious, Scarlet looked back too, but didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

"I'm sorry, Scarlet, I have to go. We'll catch up at Hogwarts?" Milo returned his attention back to her and smiled.

"Yeah, that's fine." She replied.

They waved to each other before going their separate ways and Scarlet went back to her friend hunt. Luckily, in the next compartment she checked she recognized Lily's flaming red hair. Smiling to herself, she opened the door and announced herself rather loudly.

"Hello peasants! You're queen is here!"

Everyone turned around and stared at her with looks of amusement.

"Welcome, your Majesty!" Lily played along, standing up and dropping into a deep curtsy.

Scarlet laughed and sat down on the cushioned seats.

"How's everyone's summer been?" She asked.

-=+=-

When Scarlet noticed that there was half an hour left until they arrived, she excused herself so she could change into her robes before returning back to the boys. Before she left she was reminded that it was her turn to grab sweets from the kitchens this year, as everyone else got them last year and she was 'slacking off'.

Once fully dressed, she returned to the Marauder's compartment only to sigh in disappointment when she noticed that all four boys were still not dressed in their robes. They boys looked up at the sound of her sigh with innocent faces.

"Chop, chop! We only have about twenty five minutes left! Get dressed you lazy lot!" Scarlet told them off and shoved them out of the small room to get changed. After about ten minutes, they came back and Scarlet sighed again and shook her head when she saw Sirius' tie barely tied while James just draped his over his neck.

"Honestly you two, learn how to dress yourselves!" She chided, "James, sit down and let me do it for you before you make a mess of it."

James obediently sat down next to her while Scarlet turned to face him.

"At least Sirius tried." She tutted, swiftly looping the Gryffindor tie around neatly.

She could hear the three other boys sniggering opposite them.

"There." Scarlet finished just as the train started to slow down and eventually stop at Hogsmeade Station.

"I guess we've arrived."