13. Dream Catchers

The girls of the fifth year Gryffindor dorms were awoken at 5am on Saturday morning to a loud scream

The girls of the fifth year Gryffindor dorms were awoken at 5am on Saturday morning to a loud scream. Immediately, they all sat up, alert. Their gaze finally rested on the bed next to Lily Evan's, to find their friend tossing and turning in her sleep, eyebrows furrowed and mumbling something. Lily was the first to react, hopping out of bed to lightly shake her awake. Scarlet woke up with a start, sweat dripping down her forehead and panting wildly.

"Shh, it's okay, you're fine now." Lily offered comforting words in her ear, gently rubbing the distressed girl's back.

It took a moment for Scarlet's head to stop spinning, to remember where she was.  She felt her cheeks heat up in embarrassment.

"I'm so sorry, did I wake all of you up?" She whispered into the darkness.

"It's okay, what's wrong?" Marlene said, lighting up the room with the wave of her wand.

"I just - I had a nightmare a-about my p-parents. . ." Scarlet muttered, her eyes trying to adjust to the new-found light.

"Oh." Dorcas breathed.

"Why don't you make a dream catcher?" Alice suggested.

"That's actually a really good idea! I have some lace and string in my trunk, you can use it." Lily said, leaving Scarlet's side to rummage through her belongings.

"I have a large metal ring, some feathers and beads in mine!" Alice piped in as well, hopping out of her bed, "I really enjoy arts and crafts!"

"T-Thanks you guys," Scarlet stuttered smiling a little, "I won't be able to go back to sleep so I'll start it downstairs."

The girls nodded and gave Scarlet the small box of supplies, sending her off so they could go back to sleep.

Scarlet tip-toed down the small flight of stair to get to the common room which was illuminated by the dying embers of the fire. There was no one in there, albeit the sixth-year sleeping on the rug, a empty bottle of fire-whiskey in his hand. Scarlet made her way to the fire and sat as close as she could to it, savoring the warmth it emitted. She was quite cold, considering it was early March and Spring had only just begun. She quickly got to work, taking out the thin metal hoop and began to wrap some lace around it, creating a thick pad of material.

An hour later, she was about to start tying the string to it when she figured that she should go down to the Great Hall to continue. She stuffed everything back into the box and shuffled back upstairs to get ready, careful not to disturb the sleeping girls around her.

When everything was ready, she walked through the empty Hogwarts corridors to the Great Hall. When she arrived, the house-elves were just finishing putting the food out and the last teacher had sat down. It was almost empty except for the occasional seventh-year, studying for their N.E.W.Ts. She sat down at the Gryffindor table and finished the design of string in the middle of the hoop. She attached the long pieces of string and decorated them with feathers and beads, sighing with relief when she was done. 

Curious, Professor McGonagall had approached her, a small smile on her face.

"May I ask what you are doing, Miss Winters?" She asked, studying the dream catcher in front of the girl.

"Oh, hello Professor! I'm making a dream catcher to help me with my n-nightmares. . ." Scarlet replied, feeling a bit awkward.

The Professor's look immediately turned into one of pity and sympathy, "I see. Well, I hope it works."

"Thank you Professor."

With that, the teacher turned away and strolled back to the teacher's table, joining Dumbledore once again. Scarlet carefully packed her creation back into the box and began to plate up her breakfast, suddenly starving.

Once she had finished with her breakfast, it was 8am and the Hall was much more full than it had been. Lily walked in, spotting Scarlet and rushing over to find her.

"Hi! Are you done with the dream catcher?" She asked, putting bacon and eggs on her plate.

Scarlet nodded and reached into her box pulling out the beautiful dream catcher that she had spent so long on.

"Oh, it's beautiful!" Lily cried, taking it and examining it before handing it back.

"Sorry I woke you and the girls up at 5am this morning." Scarlet sheepishly apologized scratching the back of her neck.

"It's completely fine! As long as you're safe and happy now!" Lily replied cheerfully before tucking in.

Smiling, Scarlet started doing her Potions homework to pass the time.

-=+=- 

Finally at around 11am, the four boys she had grown to love come in. But, of course, they couldn't walk in like normal people. Instead, Sirius Black came in on James' back while whooping and Peter cheered them on, slightly jogging to keep up with them while Remus came in with the most fed up look on his face.

The girls had left only half an hour ago to go to the Library so Scarlet was left to her own devices. When the boys saw her they made their way over to her and sat down right next to her.

"Hey Scar, will you -" James started.

"No." Scarlet cut off, sending him a look.

"Hey, what's this?" Sirius asked, picking up the dream catcher.

She quickly snatched it back and checked for any damage.

"It's a dream catcher. It's supposed to get rid of your bad dreams and catch your good dreams so you can remember them." Scarlet answered.

"Did you make this?" Peter asked in amazement.

Scarlet nodded with a smile.

"It's really good." James agreed.

"If it's okay to ask, why did you decide to make one?" Remus asked carefully.

"I woke up at 5am this morning due to a nightmare about. . . Christmas," Scarlet sighed, "In doing so, I woke up the rest of the dorm and the girls said to make one, so I did."

"Why would you have a nightmare about Christ- ohh. ." Peter started, finally catching on when James and Sirius sent him small glares.

Scarlet shook her head and smiled, "Anyway, why are you lot up so late?"

"Well, someone had to spend a full forty-five on his hair because he wanted to impress someone." Remus hissed, glaring at James.

He put his hands up in a fake surrender, "Hey, beauty takes time!"

Scarlet rolled her eyes, "Yeah sure, whatever you say."

The group burst out into a contagious laughter. Meanwhile, a certain Professor was watching the group of rowdy Gryffindors with a smile on her face. She was happy that Scarlet was finally starting to move on from her parent's tragic and untimely death and in doing so, improved her friendships with people who would treat her well.