11. Animagus

Earlier that day, Sirius and James thought it would be a great idea to pose and show off to the young ladies of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. But it was for two different reasons - one to actually try to pick up girls while the other was an attempt to make a certain black-haired girl jealous. Sirius had donned his slickest leather jacket while James clad his Quiddich gear to show off his athletic body. When Remus asked what they were doing, Sirius merely winked and smirked, before him and James walked out of the portrait hole. Their plan seemed to be working, for they had the attention of most of the girls in their year - some of them were even in the year above or below. Both boys wore identical smirks and Sirius saluted them while James ruffled his already messy hair. All of the girls swooned and even some had called them 'Sex Gods'. All was going well. That is, until both boys caught sight of a familiar figure running through the courtyard, tears streaming down her face. She was clutching what looked like a small, black box in her hands. James and Sirius exchanged concerned faces and excused themselves.

"Until next time!" Sirius quickly said goodbye and ran after the green-eyed girl, James close on his tail.

"Scar! Wait!" James shouted out to her as they caught up.

When they were close enough, Sirius reached out his hand and grabbed hold of her shoulder and turned her around. Helplessly, the wailing girl just fell into his arms and sobbed into his shirt. James carefully took the box away from her and glanced inside to see a beautiful necklace lying in the middle of it. Immediately, he recognized the necklace as Scarlet's mother's. 

The Christmas holidays of their third year was definitely very interesting. Scarlet had invited the boys to stay at hers for the Winter. At first, both Anne and Micheal were a little skeptical of inviting four boys to stay with their young daughter. Eventually, they agreed and the boys all arrived at the Winters household on the 20th of December. As soon as James walked in, he was greeted by the lovely and welcoming couple. One thing that caught his eye about her mother was the gorgeous necklace that hung around her neck. The woman had caught him staring at it and had told him that it was an anniversary gift with a smile on her face. He could tell that she prized the item and loved it.

Scarlet let go of Sirius and wiped her mascara stained face.

"Sorry about that.." She mumbled quietly.

James shook his head and pulled her into a quick hug himself.

"Don't worry." He reassured her when he pulled away.

She took the necklace from the box and held it up.

"Can one of you put it on me?" She sniffed.

Immediately, James took the necklace and draped it around her neck, clipping it on the first hoop. Scarlet meekly smiled at him.

"C'mon, lets see if there is any breakfast left." Sirius said.

Scarlet nodded and went on ahead. Sirius nudged James and smirked at him.

"Still on for that Winter Wonderland wedding?"

-=+=- 

That night, Scarlet was waiting in the Room of Requirement for the three boys to show up. Eventually, the door opened and in came James, Sirius and Peter, looking out of breath but happy.

"What?" She asked skeptically.

"Guess who just stole four mandrake leaves from the greenhouse!" Sirius said, reaching into his pocket and taking out the leaves.

"Nabbed it when Sprout wasn't looking!" James added, looking proud.

"I'm impressed." Scarlet remarked, "The book said it may not taste the best and eating might be a little awkward though."

"Oh, well. We can't turn back now!" Peter said, smiling.

Scarlet nodded and took her mandrake leaf, the boys doing the same.

"Wait, before we do this, do you think we can talk while we have it in?" Sirius asked.

"God forbid you can't talk, Sirius." Scarlet rolled her eyes, "But no, I don't think so."

"We need to come up with an excuse." James thought.

"We were dared?" Sirius suggested.

"That might work for us three, but not for you, Scar." James said.

"I'm really ill and have a really sore throat so I can't speak." Scarlet proposed.

"Good enough."

"Okay, here we go.." Peter squeaked, nervous.

The four opened their mouths and put in the leaf, tucking it between their teeth. Sirius and Peter tried to spit it out but managed to keep it in. Scarlet couldn't help but gag at the foul taste. They all exchanged a small thumbs up with a sour face, and left the room, avoiding Filch.

-=+=-

It was safe to say that that month was the worst month of Scarlet's young life. At first, some were suspicious that she and the boys couldn't talk. The professors also found it odd at the fact that Scarlet never contributed in the lessons but basked in the peace and quiet of no James, Sirius and Peter being noisy. Of course, Professor McGonagall was skeptical, being an animagus herself, but could help but enjoy the silence.

At the end of the long month, Scarlet and the boys all met up in the Room of Requirement again. When they all arrived, they spat their leaves out of their mouths and sighed in relief.

"Thank God for that." Sirius breathed, "Do you know how hard it is to pick up women when you can't speak?"

"Can't say I do." Scarlet rolled her eyes.

"Has it worked?" Peter asked.

"Only one way to find out.." James said.

"Who wants to go first?" Sirius asked.

"How about on the count of three, we all try together?" Scarlet suggested.

The boys nodded in agreement.

"Okay,

"One."

"Two."

"Three!"

All four of them squeezed their eyes tight. Scarlet willed herself to transform, to turn into an animal, any animal. Well, except a fish. To her delight, she could feel her bones rearranging and snapping into place. Once everything stopped moving, she opened her eyes again.

In front of her stood the most peculiar sight; a rat, a dog and a stag. Judging by where each boy stood, she figured that Peter was the rat, Sirius was the dog and James was the stag (unless they were messing with her and switched places). She looked down at her own body to see the four hooves and the light brown colour of her hide. She was a doe, much to James' delight. He trotted around her happily and tried to sniff her, before she scared him off. 

Sirius transformed back with a smirk on his face, "Well, well, well. Who would've thought that you would turn into a female version of James?"

She huffed and went to charge at him, but stopped herself. She turned back into herself with a stern and annoyed look on her face.

"Not a word to anyone."

Sirius pretended to zip up his lips and put his hands in a fake surrender.