31. Valentine's

Valentine's Day was creeping up too quickly for James

At first, he had wanted to make a special event of asking Scarlet to go with him to Hogsmeade for Valentine's, but school work kept getting in the way and the two barely saw each other alone without the rest of the Marauders around. 

It was only two days before Valentine's Day and James was yet to ask his girlfriend to go on a date with him. He realised that there was no more time to plan a big event and he just had to man up and ask her.

James hyped himself up as he sat at the Gryffindor table, surrounded by the boys, whilst Scarlet was sat slightly further up with Lily, Marlene, Alice, Dorcas, and Mary.

"Mate, it'll be fine. She's hardly doing to say no, is she?" Sirius reassured his best friend.

James nodded slightly, "You're right. I've got this."

"Eye of the tiger." Remus smiled.

"Eye of the stag." Sirius corrected with a laugh.

James grinned and managed to catch his girlfriend's eye. He quickly stood up and motioned for Scarlet to follow him. With furrowed brows, she stood up as well and said goodbye to her dormmates before following James out of the Great Hall and into a deserted corridor. 

"Is everything okay?" She asked her boyfriend when they finally stopped walking.

"Yeah, yeah. Of course! I-I just wanted to ask you something." The words stumbled out of James' mouth as he stood face-to-face with her.

"Go ahead." Scarlet nodded, sending her boyfriend a reassuring smile when she saw him nervously run a hand through his messy curls.

"Do you want to go to Hogsmeade with me? On a date. For Valentine's Day." James internally cringed at the broken sentence and wondered how Scarlet still managed to make him so nervous.

Meanwhile, a huge smile had broken out on Scarlet's face when she saw his red cheeks.

"I would love to." Her voice was just above a whisper and she stood on her tiptoes, pressing a kiss to his hot cheek. She found it incredibly sweet that he got so worked up over asking her out on a date.

James grinned back at his girlfriend, relief evident in his eyes - not necessarily because she said yes, although he was overjoyed about that, but because she understood that he was nervous and didn't laugh at him.

"Great, meet in the common room at ten?" He asked.

"That sound perfect." She smiled warmly at him.

James nodded and gently took her hand, so the couple could walk back to the Great Hall together.

Unbeknownst to the pair, a certain grey-hair professor watched the two walk off, a gentle smile on her face. 

-=+=-