Chapter Three: Fixing Mistakes Takes Time

I was standing in the kitchen washing dishes. I still couldn't really put weight on my foot, but when I was just standing that wasn't much of a problem. I didn't have to have my wrist in the brace anymore though so I could awkwardly wash dishes. Elodie was sleeping in her swing. Zack was in the living room and Leo was doing laundry. I was humming, but I stopped when I heard the door open. I turned slowly and glared at Jack. He chuckled and gave me a small smile. I turned back to the dishes, finished as quickly as I could and drained the sink.
"Baby girl. . ." I ignored him and carefully picked up Elodie, grabbed my phone off the counter and limped down the hall. "Baby girl! I'm sorry!" I walked into my room and sat down on my bed. I laid Elodie beside me. He was back. On one hand I was ecstatic, but on the other I was so pissed I couldn't even stand to look at him. He was gone for two and a half weeks! Yes, maybe ignoring him wasn't the most mature thing to do, but if I tried to talk to him I'd just end up yelling at him. My bedroom door was open and I could hear him and Zack talking. I grabbed my phone and turned on Palaye Royale. A band I had come across a week or so earlier while aimlessly scrolling on Youtube. I closed my eyes and before I knew it fell asleep.
For the most part life was pretty normal. I continued to ignore Jack and Zack and Leo became our middle men.
"Do you want a grilled cheese?" Zack asked as he stuck his head into the living room.
"Yes, please." He nodded and looked back over his shoulder.
"She does." Then he came and stood in front of me. "You two have got to work this out." I sighed. "Jack!" Jack pokes his head in.
"Yeah?"
"Sit." Jack sat on the end of the couch opposite me. We were all silent for a few minutes before Zack spoke again. "One of you has to start."
"Baby girl," Jack turned to look at me, "I shouldn't have just left in the middle of the night. I'm sorry I didn't call or text and I'm sorry for leaving."
"And that's great, but you can't really expect to just waltz back in and have life go back to normal. You left! For three weeks! For all I knew you weren't coming back!"
"Baby-"
"No! You don't get to call me that right now. I have lost too many people. I thought I'd lost you too! And you're pretending like it never even happened."
"I-"
"I'm not done. Did you think about how you leaving would affect me or Elodie? No! Of course not. Because you are nothing but a self centered asshole! Accept the fucking consequences of your fucking actions and stop acting like a child! Being a teen mom fucking sucks, but when I got stressed about it you told me you'd be there for me. And when I needed you you fucking left!"
"Anna-" Leo started.
"I'm sorry I left! I wasn't thinking! The stress was killing me! I just needed to get away for a bit!" Jack snapped.
"The stress was killing you? It was killing you?" I was in no frame of mind to deal with him.
"Anna-"
"It's always about you, isn't it? Because that's all you ever think about!" I stood up and started out of the room.
"Anna!"
"Shut up, Jack!" I walked down the hall as fast as I could and into my room.
  I sat on my bed for an hour fuming and then laid down and listened to My Youth Generation on repeat for a half hour before I heard a knock on my door. I paused the song.
"Yes?"
"Can I come in?" Leo asked through the door.
"Yeah." He came in and closed the door behind him. It was quiet for a few minutes. "So . . . that was intense." I sighed and sat up.
"I didn't mean to yell. I'm just - I'm running in two hours of sleep and one cup of coffee and I'm not fit to be around." He sat beside me.
"He really wants to fix this He just doesn't know how." I rested my head on his shoulder.
"I know. Can you give me just a few minutes and then we can try that," I gestured at the door, "again?"
"Sure. Oh, Elodie's fussing." He gave me  a kiss.
"Okay." I pushed myself up and limped down to Elodie's room. "Hi, Baby girl." I picked her up and laid her on my shoulder before putting her blanket over her and grabbing her pacifier. I slowly made my way back to the living room. Zack was standing in front of Jack, lecturing him on being an adult. He stopped when he saw me.
"I guess I'll go."
"No. Stay. I need to talk to both of you." Zack sat beside Jack. I took a deep breath. "First off, Zack, thank you for everything you've done for Elodie and I in the past three weeks and I'm sorry I've been unbearable." He smiled, but I kept going before he could speak, "Second, Jack, I love you. I do, but you have to understand that I'm upset and I can't look at you without wanting to punch you in the face right now so I just need some time to cool off. I'm sorry I yelled at you and called you an asshole. That wasn't very mature. But. . . just give me a few days. When I'm ready I'll come to you." Jack sighed.
"Okay." I nodded and started out of the living room. "I'm losing her, Zack." I heard him mumble as I walked out.
  I knew he was upset and he was trying his hardest, but I just needed a little more time.

I'm not sure when I'll update this again. It might be awhile, but I promise I will update again at some point.

Avery L.