Chapter 23 : Sinking It In?

Start from the beginning

When I finally found the schedule, I saw that I was in luck! The next train to Bangalore was to leave twenty minutes later.

I immediately went to the counter to purchase the ticket. As I stood in the line, I once again felt disgusted! I had to use the money that the monster had given me, because I had none myself. It killed me to take any favours from him, especially after the insulting way he had given me the cash. However, I had no choice! I had to use it to buy the ticket.

When I finally reached the end of the queue I was thankful to know that there were enough empty seats on the train to Bangalore. I immediately purchased a second class ticket and made my way to the appropriate platform.

I waited for a few minutes until the train arrived.

As soon as the stipulated train stopped at the platform, and most of the passengers disembarked, I made my way in and found myself a corner seat in the cramped and squalid carriage.

As the train lurched forward, and changed its course towards Bangalore, I felt absolutely hollow. I was going home, yet all I could feel was fear and guilt instead of experiencing relief! But, I had to go back...it was the only way!

A part of me was still worried for Manik...Ugh! Nandini! He doesn't deserve your concern! Everything was a lie! 

I wasn't even sure if he was lying about being framed or not!

Stop thinking about him! The chapter of Manik Malhotra closes right now!

I rested my head against the grills of the window and squeezed my eyes shut, trying to get his face out of my head.

Eventually, I drifted off into a troubled sleep, because the next thing I remembered was waking up as the train braked relatively harshly at another station.

I immediately looked around to see an active train station platform outside. How long had I actually been sleeping for?

I looked at a clock hung on the wall of a book stall, and read the time. Two pm?! I had slept for nearly two hours!

I had completely forgotten to inform Chacha-Chachi that I was alright. Even if I was ashamed to face them, I at least had to inform them that I was no longer in danger! I was sure they'd be very worried!

I got off the train, and got some change from a nearby food stall.

I made my way to the public telephone booth and immediately inserted a number of coins to make use of the phone for a few minutes. I dialed my landline number as quick as I could and waited with bated breath for Chachi to pick up the phone.

It took a few rings but eventually-she did pick up.

"Hello?" She said, clearly stressed.

"Chachi-main Nandu!" My voice was nearly cracking due to the mixed emotions of guilt and happiness I felt upon hearing her voice after a span of two days.

"Nandu! Kahan hain tu? Are you okay? Pata hain humne policewaalon ko bheja tha...tu theek hain na? I promise main uss Manik Malhotra ko chodne nahi wali!" Chachi exclaimed.

"Chachi...I'm fine! Mujhe kuch nahi hua...I just called to tell you that I'm coming home...it'll take a few hours but I will hopefully reach by tonight..." I said, trying to pacify her.

"Bhagwan ka lakh-lakh shukar hain...ki tu theek hain...please ghar aaja jaldi!" She said, relief evident in her voice, enhancing my guilt.

"Chachi...I'm so sorry...you and Chacha- had to go through so much because of me..." I said, letting out a sob.

"Nahi Nandu...I'm sorry!" She said, surprising me.

Did she really blame herself for my kidnapping? It most definitely was not her fault! It was my own stupidity that had landed me in this mess! And let's not forget the main culprit-Manik Malhotra!