sole dies in companions arms

Cait: Shite! This wasn't happening, this couldn't be happening. She couldn't stop the blood in time, so Cait just ran her hands through Sole's hair, both to comfort herself and the love of her life. Her treasure, her lover, her heart... Cait couldn't stand the thought of losing them, but here they were, bleedin' out and Cait couldn't do shite to stop it. "Sole, are ya fuckin' daft?" She was tearing up now, but trying to hold it together. Cait hadn't cried for years. "I told you to be careful, darlin'. This ain't fuckin' careful!" Sole chuckled at that, and Cait was angry, furious at the world for letting this happen, at Sole for taking that bullet, at herself for not being sure she'd do the same and letting the best thing that'd ever happened to her die in her arms. And then they were gone, and they were probably the first person Cait lost who she fucking cared about, and Cait didn't know how to deal with it.

Curie: Curie hated violence. She hated how the Commonwealth had become a hierarchy of ruthlessness, and part of what drew her to Sole was that they were different. They were kind and just and understanding, and helped Curie make sense of a strange and complicated world with her new body. And Curie never hated violence more than when she cradled Sole's head in her lap, tears freely flowing down her face, and knew that she wouldn't be able to save them. They'd paid the price for Curie's inexperience in battle, her dislike of fighting. She'd planned to travel with them for years to come, to navigate the Commonwealth with her steady Sole by her side, and as those plans came to an abrupt halt, Curie felt a devastating grief, a simultaneous tightness and hollowness in her heart. "Adieu, mon amour," Curie whispered, brushing a light kiss to Sole's foreheard and feeling them fade away. "Je t'aime."

Danse: No, this was... he couldn't... goddamnit, Danse had caused enough deaths. Several lives already weighed on his conscience, affecting his decisions, his dreams, his faith in himself, his every waking moment, but now... The person who'd stood up to Maxson for Danse, who'd accepted his identity, who'd saved him from his own spiral of loneliness and self-deprecation, they'd died for Danse as well. He traced their face with his thumb, trying with futility to comfort them in their last few moments in the Commonwealth, and then they were gone. Danse had lost Sole and was struck with the devastating fact that without them, he was truly alone in the world. He was just a collection of missing pieces glued together by a sense of duty, and that never seemed more glaringly obvious than now. Danse was lost. He had nowhere, no one, to return to. Without Sole by his side, the man didn't know what he'd do.

Deacon: Deacon tried to convince Sole and himself that they weren't dying. "Come on, you'll make it through. You're tough, remember?" It was bullshit, though, complete bullshit, and they both knew it. And as Sole took their last breaths, Deacon found himself spilling his guts, as last-minute retribution for all the lies and because they deserved to know. He told them that he loved them, that he didn't say it often enough, and that he'd been afraid to get close to them but now he wished he'd done it sooner. Deacon talked himself through all the barriers he put up and all the earlier contradictory words, because he had the opportunity and because he wished he'd had it for Barbara. But eventually he was only speaking to a body, the shell of the person he'd been terrified to admit he loved, and the guilt and the self-hatred and that mind-numbing rage settled in. Whoever did this would be dead soon, and Deacon would figure out what came next, but he'd hate himself more with every minute Sole's life bought him.

Gage: Gage didn't do grief. Generally speaking, he hated people. He didn't really give a shit if anyone died, beyond what that death meant for raider gang dynamics. That's why it was so fucking terrifying when he was holding Sole before they checked out, and Gage realized he was actually... what, scared? Something like it. "That was stupid, boss," he said, trying to sound jokingly derisive but coming out sadder than he knew he felt. "Shouldn't've taken a bullet for me. Shoulda just considered it and jumped outta the way." Sole could hear him, Gage knew, but they only had the strength to smile weakly, and fuck, he couldn't take seeing someone so strong reduced to just another body on the pavement. The only person Gage had really cared for in his entire goddamn adult life, and they were gone. He couldn't do nothin' about it, neither, or about how much he missed them- Gage couldn't cope with this shit.