Chapter 2 Life - As I Know It

2

"...Johnny," I closed my eyes, took a breath and released it, "I'm not going to have your child." She went back to looking out the window. She'd told him. Sighing she looked up at the sky. The clouds outside were beginning to grow thick, and she knew it was gonna storm. Dark and stormy. Just like her mood.

"Are you sure?" Johnny asked brushing his hand through his hair.

"Yeah," she barely whispered.

"Oh thank God!" He exclaimed.

"Don't thank him," she almost snapped back. "He's got nothing to do with this," she added more calmly a few seconds later.

He reached out a hand to put on her shoulder. "Awe babe, I'm sorry," he moved closer.

"It's ok, Johnny," she got up from the table moving away from his closeness. "We both know you and I don't need a kid."

"Yeah," he said walking behind her, "you are only nineteen and what with my band getting on up in popularity," he continued. "A kid so would not fit."

She walked over to the sliding glass doors that lead to the balcony, opened one side and stepped outside. Breathing in deeply, she could smell the rain that had already begun to fall. It started to really pour down hitting her face and soaking her to the bone almost instantly. "I know, Johnny," she said flatly.

"Oh Tra, don't be sad," he called from the door. Johnny hated the rain. Ruined his hair.

Smiling to herself, "I'm not Johnny." She closed her eyes and turned to look at him. From there on the balcony, she could see how things could be. They could get married. Him and his band would be famous and she'd follow him where ever he went, no strings holding them to any one place and sleeping all day and staying up all night. He'd probably start drinking or doing drugs. Then he'd cheat on her or beat her. What kind of life was that? She didn't want that. Did she? Is that all she deserved out of this troubled life?

"Johnny," she sighed and then continued, "I'll... I'll be moving away and I don't think you and I should stay together."

"What?!"

"You know as well as I do that this was never a," she paused, "forever kind of thing," she finished explaining. "I mean, you don't need to settle down with one girl when you'll soon have many falling all over you." She could actually see the twinkle in his eye. Right then, she knew. She knew without a doubt, she'd made the right decision.

"Yeah I guess you're right," he said looking at her. Then looking at the door.

"You can go now, Johnny. No need for any sort of fanfare or anything," Tra saids dismissively.

"Oh, ok then, Tra. I'll, uh, grab my stuff on the way out," he said already walking towards the bedroom. "And I'll have one of the guys bring your stuff tomorrow."

"Sure," Tra said softly, but he couldn't hear her.

Johnny was already walking towards the door when he called over his shoulder, "I left my key on the dresser, it's been real fun, Tra." And with that, he was gone.

'Typical,' she said to herself. She turned back around to look out into the storm. It was such a wonderful warm rain that she didn't want to go in. "Thank you God, for all...," she had begun. Why am I praying? Why now? What has he done for me? Why did Johnny have to bring him up.

Sighing, she let her head hang down. Out of the corner of her eye, she caught the glimpse of something. She turned to look but the rain was really pouring down that she couldn't make it out. Looked like a figure of a person, sitting out in the rain. Actually sitting in a chair enjoying the rain. She shook her head at the image. She was probably seeing things. She'd never met another person who liked to sit in the rain like herself. She turned to settle herself down in a chair and enjoy the rain. Pondering if she might enjoy reading a bit. Hmm.

- - -

I hadn't expected to hear someone talking out in this storm. When I looked up, I saw her standing on her balcony getting soaked in the rain. She was talking to someone who was standing inside. I was intrigued by the way she soaked up the rain and not cringe and run away from it. Her dark hair clinging to the side of her face. What a vision. Then as if she knew I was watching her, she stared right at me. I know she couldn't make out who I was. Or even if I was a man or animal. After a few minutes, she turned to sit in a chair. I watched her while she sat. And sat. And sat.

She tried to reach inside from her chair, but just couldn't reach whatever she was trying to get to. With what looked like frustration, she began to rise from the chair but something was wrong. Instead of standing she slipped and went over the railing of the balcony... Falling.

***