Awake at Last: Part Two

It is obvious that they are Scyllah.

Non-humans have a certain aura to them. One that I've gotten used to, knowing Elisedd over the years. But when a human first feels the presence of an elf or a dragonkin, it is like something has dropped on their chest. They can't breathe, they can't speak. They want to close their eyes and let the feeling pass, but it is impossible. Impossible to look away.

And it is something that brings fear and trepidation that always, always, boils over into outright anger.

Guiding them through the town, laundresses drop their baskets. Members of the guard happily holding morning conversations with townspeople, unclip their axes from their belts. Eyes twitch. Lips curl into snarls.

And we are here. Standing before the entrance to the longhouse. Two Guards denying us entry. One wielding his ax like it is a torch and the other intent on intimidating me with his smell.

But I know my rights. "I have a right to entreat the jarl." Everyone does. Once.

"And this is what you will waste it on? Scyllah scum?" the one to my right snarled. The one who did not know the meaning of personal space.

"Move aside."

"You're probably in league with them!" he screamed, leering down at me, "It makes sense, doesn't it? That the worst tragedy in history befalls our younglings when you tie yourself to them! Cursed!"

And it has been long. A long, long, time since anyone attributed that title to me.

Here, it resurfaced. And here, I do not care.

He's screaming out to the crowd and I take the opportunity to shove past him. The auras of the elves and Elisedd steal his breath, and the breath of his comrade, and we enter.

A long scarlet rug concealed our footsteps. Upon a raised dais, sat a high wooden chair with the banner of Montbereau hanging behind it; a black bear against an even blacker forest.

A housecarl is the only person that greeted us. Standing to the right of the throne. She tipped her braided head slightly, hands behind her back. Walnut-brown armor shining in torches and candlelight.

"The jarl has heard your pleas." She said, stepping forward. Centering herself upon the dais. "He will not speak to you. Nor them." The last word was snarled, her upper lip curving to reveal blackened teeth.

I don't care. "I request the honor of killing it." I said regardless, "I want to kill the high vampire."

Her shock rattled across her face. But only for a mere fleeting moment. "You." She said, "You. Coward of the Black wish to meet the afterlife so quickly?"

I raised my chin, stuck out my chest as I'd so often seen Hagen do. "It killed my shieldsiblings. My leader." Another step toward her, "Their spirits want revenge. Now."

She couldn't stifle her laugh. "And you believe you will be the one to exact it."

"Yes."

The lack of hesitation threw her off. Her smile capsized. Her crinkled eyes turned deadly serious. "The jarl is never wrong. Even in this instance." She stepped down from the dais. Came to stand before me, "He knew and figured that you'd try to go back." Her hand landed on my shoulder, "You are no coward, Katell Maeva. Those were his words."

"Then why isn't he here?"

She looked out beyond me. "Listen."

There's silence. Before, the crowd had been screaming. But...now...

"...citizens of Montbereau...,"

"He's speaking. On your behalf." She patted my shoulder, "He knew. He saw you coming and went to prepare them." She nodded at Elisedd and his comrades, then brought her eyes back to meet mine, "Katell Maeva, if you take the life of the high vampire you will be named an honorary shieldmaiden. Your name will be added back to the Hall of Honors. Your family will receive a stipend for as long as you shall live."

I swallowed. "And if I die?"

Behind me, Elisedd shifted.

"If you die, your family will receive a stipend for as long as they shall live. Your name will be added back and you will be an honorary shieldmaiden and hero."

"But you will still be dead." Elisedd warned me.

"As for your friends, here," she moved aside. Planted a narrowed gaze on the four, "The jarl knew nothing about them."

Elisedd brought his hands behind his back, "There is an infestation," he began, "For years it has grown and now, something has triggered a new growth. A violent growth." He surveyed the housecarl, searching for any signs of disbelief. He got none. "We plan to place wards around the outskirts. Protect your people from the worst of it."

"In exchange for what?" the housecarl asked, "You creatures never do anything in exchange for nothing."

The female elf chuckled behind her dainty hand.

Elisedd's eyes landed on me. Then, drifted back to the housecarl, "You will treat her family with respect. You will honor your agreement made here, whether she lives or...does not." He won't meet my gaze now—Elisedd, what are you doing? "That will satisfy."

The housecarl was silent. Lingering betrayal lined her features as she met my gaze and shook her head. "Consider it already done." She said, clasping her hands behind her back. Foot tapping against the rug. "You can trust my word and, above all, the word of Montbereau's jarl."