Search and Rescue

As I hurried out of the building I dialed Stefan. "How long do you want to keep living with Katherine?" I spoke through clenched teeth and it sounded very much like a growl.

"What are you talking about?"

"Elena's been abducted."

"No, she's not. She's just running some errands." He sounded pretty sure of it.

It could have been my recent need to suppress feelings, but I was actually feeling really glib when I once again told him. "That's Katherine!" The line almost went dead, and I told him I would be in his room shortly and then I thought about Damon; I knew he wouldn't answer if I called him, but with trembling fingers I sent him a text.

ELENA'S BEEN KIDNAPPED. YOU NEED TO CALL STEFAN.

A bit impersonal perhaps, but I got the message through and that was most important for now. My feelings for him would have to settle on the bench by the side-line.

I didn't even put my phone down, just flipped through my contacts again. "Bonnie, can you track Elena's phone? She's missing."

"What? But I saw her just a moment ago."

"That's Katherine. Where did she go?"

Bonnie promised to check into it and call back; I told her I'd be in Stefan's apartment. And then it was time for next call. I was starting to feel like some phone operator or captain of commands.

"Caroline, we've got to find Elena. Katherine got her."

"What?" she yelled.

I told her what had happened this last hour and hung up the phone the same time I knocked on Stefan's door.

He looked like a wreck and was pacing back and forth in the small apartment. I sat him down by the table and briefed him of who knew. Shortly thereafter there were knocks on the door in a steady stream, and the search and rescue team was together. Well, short of Damon that is.

Headquarter-meeting around the table; my God here comes the next crisis!

"I did a search for Elena's phone and Caroline did a sweep, and it appears that Katherine has Elena's phone."

Caroline pulled it out of her pocket and put it on the table.

I sighed; I had really hoped it would be easy this time, but why would it? "Okay, what's plan B?"

Bonnie pulled her grimoire out of her bag and some other things. She straightened out a map on the table and asked Stefan for something personally of hers. He walked into the bathroom and returned with the jewelry we all had seen around her neck; the silver locket with the tiny blood-red stone that hid Vervain inside.

Bonnie tried a simple location-spell, first, but it didn't work. "I need some blood of hers." We started to look at each other and nobody knew anything to say. If Jeremy hadn't been so far away, perhaps we would be able to use his blood, but that was unfortunately not an option this time.

We studied each other for a while and then I pulled the phone out of my pocket. "I know a guy..." I said carefully and instantly I saw Caroline's alarmed look. We all knew who I meant, and we all knew who had been sampling her blood for a while.

"Do it!" Bonnie said.

I only had to look at the latest dialed numbers to find his. He answered almost instantly.

"Are you okay?"

"Hi Klaus, yes I'm fine. Yeah, second time today..." I said and saw Caroline's watchful eyes glare at me. I got up from the table and started to walk back and forth, mimicking Stefan' earlier actions. "You're not gonna like this..."