Home away from home

Luckily Matt and Jeremy came by once in a while to keep us company and to keep us updated on what was happening in our old hometown. When they came over we did our best to stick together and we were like a happy family; except for the fact that we were refugees.

"It was good you all got the hell out of Dodge; hunters started to come by, asking questions. I've told them you all got way up north," Matt said.

We had rooms on a few hotel and motels in town, trying hard not to draw too much attention to us, but we often ran in to one another at this small diner.

I was just on my way out of the little girl's room when I almost tumbled in on a private conversation.

"Rose has a message for you," Jeremy told Damon who stopped abruptly and stared at him. He looked around like to check if someone was eavesdropping and then spat out a: "What?"

"She just said something about it was good that you had come to your senses and left my sister alone."

Damon glared at Jeremy's gloating face and walked out of there. I pretended not to have heard anything and walked around the corner where I had seen them through a mirror and had heard everything.

I wondered a bit who this Rose was and why she sent messages through Jeremy. I couldn't really ask Damon and revealing that I had been eavesdropping, so I decided to pull out the blood-line chart from my wooden box and found the name Rosalie.

Oh yes, Damon and Stefan had talked about the Rose that accidentally turned Katherine. Was she still around to give messages to Damon? Why didn't she seek him up and tell him herself? I decided to talk to Jeremy, if I just got a chance.

Luckily he and I went to the diner by ourselves that day and to him I confessed about my eavesdropping.

"Jeremy, why didn't Rose talk to Damon herself?"

At first he just looked at me like he had no idea at all what I was talking about, but then he recalled his conversation with Damon. "Oh, you heard me?"

I nodded.

"I'm sorry, I didn't want to talk about him hitting on my sister in front of you," he said apologetic.

"I've already got that something was happening between them, and it was quite recently."

"Yeah, you could say that..."

"And Rose didn't like it?"

"Actually she said something about her making him a better person and him challenging her, makes her question her life and believes." His voice was respectful as he revealed Rose conversation with him. "She said that Stefan will always be good for her, but Damon is either the best thing for her or the worst."

I just nodded, not knowing what to say or what to feel. Compassion for her was filling me at the same time that jealousy was tearing me apart.

"I was mostly mad at my sister," he said with a sigh. "But with everything going on in her and my life I just had to lash out on Damon, I'm sorry."

I still didn't know what to say.

"I'm really glad he has found you though, you're really good for him, it's like he is a different person around you and he deserve to feel good just as much as anybody."

"Wow, you're a good kid."

"Kid?" He laughed. "I'm not that much younger than you." We both laughed a bit while we tried to eat.

"So why don't Rose talk to him herself?"

He looked dumfounded at me. "She's dead."

"Huh?"