Bad news

I looked at the lawyer. "Do I really have to?" My eyes were welling up. "I only have eight months till I turn eighteen; can't I live on my own until then?"

"I'm afraid we can't do that." the old man said, looking really apologetic.

Didn't he know I had been on my own for the last seven years, ever since my mother died? I held my tears in. Well okay, maybe I hadn't been all alone; in the beginning I had babysitters, like Mrs. Walters, our next door neighbour. The last three years I had only talked to her once in a while, and helped her with odd stuff she needed help with; like putting up a shelf or rearranging her furniture. My dad had been a truck driver and he had been gone for weeks sometimes, I had made it on my own, now this greyish old fat guy said I couldn't.

"What about foster care?" I asked.

"That is not the procedure when there is family that can take you under their wings, my dear."

My dear? WTF?!

"We have a record here that says you have a great uncle Zack that lives in this country," he said and I snapped my head up since this was the first time I heard of one. "We'll make contact with him to arrange the move."

I couldn't believe it. "But I don't want to move!"

The old guy snickered; he actually snickered. "You young people think you are ready for the responsibility of life. One day you will be, my dear, but now it is our responsibility for you to have a good start in life." I couldn't help but to watch how his upper lip twitched all the time he was talking to me.

My dear? My ass! I thought and got up from the chair in his office.

"I will be in touch before five o'clock this evening to make the moving arrangements."

I walked out the door, devastated but with clenched teeth. Anger was a great companion to mask the emptiness I felt. I would not be moving out of this town!

I'm sure that stupid Sharon would be moving in on my boyfriend before my side of his bed was cold. Yeah, well okay, maybe we hadn't really slept together just yet, we had only being going out for two and a half months, but it felt good, and I had spent the night in his bed several times. He had in fact conveniently showed up just when my ex had made it clear he wanted us to see other people. That was the first guy I had been in a serious relationship with and it had broke my heart.

Grrr, it really sucked to be me right now. Wasn't it enough that I had buried my dad last week, I thought with eyes welling up again. Now I have to leave my apartment and my home as well. Another deep breath helped me to keep it together.

When I got home and opened the door, my cat Angel came and greeted me. "At least I still have you," I said and lifted the big black cat. He really looked like a devil, with big crusts on his ears, making them look like devils horns. That was the reason I named him Angel, because he sure didn't look like one.

My long black hair fell down and he tried to hit it with his paw. Despite my despair I couldn't stop a giggle escaping because he looked so darn cute, even if I had to blink the tears away. "What am I supposed to do, Angel?"

My phone chimed, I saw in the display that it was Lisa, my best friend. "How did it go," she asked instantly.

"Looks like I have no choice."

"Oh no! You can't just leave; we have to find a way for you to stay!"

"Yeah, this is the end of my life..." I sighed.

"What about Mrs. Walters?"

"Sorry, it's not an option?" I mocked in a try to mimic the dark voice of the lawyer.