Chapter 5

Michael reeled back at her words.

“Are…are you sure, Jane?”

She scoffed.

“Of course I am! I’d recognize that bitch anywhere.”

“Oh my God! How…how do I get rid of her without creating suspicions?”

Jane walked back and forth and seemed to think furiously.

“You don’t. It’s better if I have her under my eyes and she’s someone I know. Listen, before you call me insane. She is not the hired gun. She will be only a snitch from the inside communicating with the actual killer. See where I’m hinting? Keep her under surveillance and I identify the killer before he can make a move and I take him out. If you chase her away, two bad things happen: Damien will know that I contacted you and told you about his plan and he will replace her with someone I don’t know. And that person may strike when we both least expect it, because we don’t know what to expect and from whom. So, keep Blackheart…I mean Tatiana.”

Michael gulped hard and nodded. Then he kicked his foot hard in the alley.

“Shit! How am I supposed to rehearse and then dance with her on the stage when I know that she’s following me, spying the perfect moment when she can give the signal for someone to kill me???? How do I do that, Jane? Tell me! How???”

She grabbed his shoulders in her hands and her eyes were now steely grey with determination.

“You do it. Because you know that I am in the wings of the stage, and next to you in each car and on each alley and in each hotel room, and if need be I’ll take the bullet meant for you! You are not alone and helpless. You have me. And I’m not bragging when I say that I’m one of the best in this business. I can take out all your security system and all your bodyguards, one by one, in the depth of the night. I can get inside Neverland, into your bedroom and out before your bodyguards can even notice that the surveillance cameras aren’t working anymore. That’s how good I am! And I’ll use all these skills to protect you, Michael. Now…hold my hand nicely, like the good boyfriend you are, and introduce me to your dancers.”

“What about…Tatiana?”

“Well, Frank was right. My poor mother wouldn’t me recognize me now. I’m sure she won’t either. Let’s go!”

Michael slipped his fingers through her and squeezed her hand hard.

“It’s gonna be alright, relax. Don’t panic, she’ll see that and get suspicious.”

He briefly closed his eyes and drew in a sharp breath. OK, like in a short film, it’s make believe… and they’d better believe what they see now. He opened the door wider and let Jane step inside first.

“Heyyy... everyone...I...I’d like you to meet someone.”

Michael licked his lips and put an arm around Jane.

“This is my girl...Jane...she will be with us on this tour...”

A long “ooooohhh”, then cheers and clapping of hands ensued, making Michael blush deeply. However, the moment he caught Tatiana’s glance, he froze, instinctively digging his fingers in Jane’s side. He had never seen so much cold anger and hate in someone’s eyes.

“Hi, everyone. Ummm....so nice meeting you all. I promise I won’t step on your feet and be in your hair...I hope we can all be friends, you know?”

She had put on a nice shy smile and Michael had to admit she was a good actress. She suddenly leaned into him to kiss him on the cheek and whispered harshly: