Chapter 40

They drove in silence. Elizabeth felt the tension mounting inside the car and kept her counsel. Michael was holding Yannina's hand, rubbing his thumb over her knuckles in a comforting gesture.

"We're here" he said softly, when the car stopped.

All three got out and Liz Taylor gasped when she saw the name of the Greek cemetery.

"What are we doing here?"

"It all began here, Miss Taylor. My decision to leave my lifestyle and protect Michael. And, apparently, I'm buried here" said Yannina dryly.

Liz Taylor raised her eyebrows, but remained silent, walking behind Michael and Yannina. They reached the grave of Yannina's mother.

"Mom...Here I am again, after so much time. My plans didn't work out as I wanted them...but sometimes, it's for the best. Mom...this is the man I love....this is Michael. I did my good deed, I protected him. He is safe...I hope God forgives you....I did it for you. I spilled my blood and I'd do it again. For you, for Michael."

She knelt and touched the marble cross.

"Michael, you kept your word. You took care of her grave. Thank you."

"Yannina...you don't need to thank me."

She stood up and took a few steps. Then she saw the other cross. The one apparently marking her own grave. She gave a thin-lipped smile and produced a marker from her pocket. She bent over the cross and wrote in Greek over the painted words.

"What did you write there?" inquired Michael quietly.

"Apomimisi. It means "fake". This is a fake grave and I won't stop till I get my name back. Now for your story, Miss Taylor."

She turned towards Elizabeth.

"The woman under that cross there and the man standing beside us are the only two human beings who ever cared for me. I entered the gang because I needed money to pay for my mother's cancer treatment. I do not regret anything. I kept my mother alive for as long as it was medically possible. So, I will not apologize for being a contract killer. In fact, without these skills, Michael wouldn't be here with us."

"She's right, Liz. That killer made three attempts on me: in Japan, in Hong Kong and in Paris."

"I never knew anything!!!"

"We kept quiet. I had to pretend that I was only Michael's girlfriend, especially because the killer infiltrated his lover as one of Michael's dancers."

"Dear God, what is this? A spy movie?"

"It's the truth, Miss Taylor. The curly girl on stage...Tatiana...she was the killer's spy inside Michael's entourage."

"I'll never....Michael, is this true?"

"Every single word, Liz. Yannina saved my life. She took bullets for me. Please....please learn to love her and accept her. She's not going anywhere from now on."

"Michael, what about your career? How can you possibly introduce Yannina to your fans? Nobody will accept her, no matter what she did for you."

"Miss Taylor, you are one of the very few people who can expose me. If you search everywhere, with any private detective, you won't find a shred of evidence about my past. So, you have this power: you can destroy me."

The two women started a silent staring down contest, violet eyes into greenish-grey eyes. Then Liz sighed out and raised her arms to heaven.

"Do you want my opinion? This is utter madness. It's beyond my comprehension. Michel hates violence of all kinds...Michael...how can you love this girl?"