My Queen

When I met her for the first time, it was a warm autumn night, end of september to be precise. I had just gotten out of the work, a hard day as a prosecutor. I don't want to get into the details, but, I was pretty tired of working on the same case as the ADA of sex crimes for 4 weeks. We still hadn't caught the guy who killed then raped his victims post-mortem. Terrifying, I know.

Back to the girl, it was a warm autumn night when I saw her for the first time. My office was right beside a cliff. The cold air had hit my face, the smell of the trees was present in the air and gave me some kind of comforting feeling. I had gotten out and started walking towards my car, when I saw her, standing where the end of the cliff was. She was wearing a skirt, some high tights that ended right below her skirt.

Her brown curly hair was loose, flying around in the wind. I looked carefully, she was walking awfully close to the edge, horizontally. Then, she had moved just a little bit towards the edge, like she had been ready to jump. I had dropped my keys and ran towards her. I remember yelling "Hey!" multiple times but she never turned around, she just kept bending her back until she was unstable enough to almost fall. I remember letting everything drop down on the ground and reaching towards her.

I remember grabbing her skirt and noticing it was an uniform. Her shirt was a T-shirt which left me wondering why she was wearing a that when it was this cold outside. My thoughts quickly left my mind as I grabbed her harshly and turned her around so she was facing me. Her eyes grew wide, the wind causing her skirt to lift up in the air. The trees were moving all around us and leaves were flying. The aesthetic of that moment will forever be stuck in my mind.

I remember every details of her face, her perfect freckled nose. Her radiant blue eyes. Her cheeks were pink because of the cold outside, her lips were shivering lightly. Her long hair fell over her face as she was standing on some kind of block. She stood higher than me, her hands were on my shoulder as she had lost her balance when I harshly turned her around. Her face was pale, it looked soft. She seemed to be listening to some music which I considered was why she didn't answer when I repeatedly called after her.

I remember her lips, a small smile escaping her lips as her earphones fell down. The "cling" of the plastic hitting the ground stopped the silence of the wind. Her eyes looked right through mine and I looked at her carefully. She chuckled, a sound that I grew to love and realised I could not spend another day without hearing it. Her eyes were closed and her head titled a bit, she looked like a dog excited to see its mistress. She smiled at me and held her light body up on my shoulder to jump down on the ground. She grabbed her earphones, I just looked at her, confused.

She had broken the silence, she turned around to look at me, her eyes shining and her smile still radiating in the late evening. "Did you think I was going to jump?" She had said. Smiling, the smile seemed fake, now that I think about it. Had I ruined her chance of killing herself? Boo fucking hoo.

"You were pretty close to the edge, it was pretty evident." I had answered. I remember her looking at me. She shivered slightly, then turned her face to hide it, little did she know that a prosecutor knows everything and sees everything. "Are you cold?" I had said. She nodded slightly. Without thinking I had given her my shirt. One of my favourite that I grew to like more on her than me. She put it on, it seemed oversized for her as it did for me.

I considered myself quite tall, 5'10 for a woman is tall. She didn't look over 5'4 and weight wise... not over 115 pounds that's for sure. She had looked at me and had hid her face in the turtleneck of the shirt. I had looked at her carefully and smiled.

"What were doing out here?" She hadn't answered, I remember looking at her and waiting for her to answer. She never did. She looked back at me and asked "Are you a lawyer?" I had nodded. "Do you put the bad people in prison?" She had threw me off with that question but I still nodded.