Chapter 6

Astrid's POV

It had been months since Hiccup had taken up as Chief. He was getting the hang of it, but he still came home exhausted every afternoon.
But today he was moody, he had worked himself too hard and he came home cranky. I remembered suddenly that it was Stoick's birthday today.
"Hiccup..."
"Don't Astrid,"
"Don't what?"
"Tell me that it'll be okay,"
I open my mouth unsure of what to say.
"Hiccup..." I tried again.
That did it, Hiccup snapped. All the pressure and the anger and sadness can toppling down and the emotions that he had been hiding came all at one, like rain after a drought.
"I'm sick of this. I can't handle it. I'm hopeless." Hiccup just kept insulting himself as I stood there too stunned to speak.
"Hiccup..."
"Stop it Astrid, I don't need your pity, you're probably better without me." Hiccups words rang through my ears, the words hanging in the silence, neither of us knowing how I would react.
"O-Okay..." I said hesitantly
"Just leave me aloan," Hiccup yelled, his voice full of anger and hurt.
I ran out and let Hiccup realise what he's just said. I ran to the wood and started throwing axes at trees like I used to when I was 15.
I let my axe fly from my hand and stick from the bark of the tree. The tears feel from my eyes and I trained myself to the point where I was on the ground watching the sky get darker, my stomach growling with hunger, my throat begging for water and my head thumping loudly.
I was about to let my eyes close when -
"ASTRID!!" Hiccup ran through the trees embracing me with a hug. "I'm sorry," he managed, "that I took it all out on you,"
"It's okay, you had to take it out in someone.. I'm glad you felt safe enough to take it out on me,"
We stood there hugging with his face buried in my hair and my head resting on his shoulder and the sky turned dark blue signalling that it was time to head back.

Hiccup POV

I Stood there, gazing up at my father. Well not really him, his statue was almost finished. It was an exact replica, from his detailed bushy beard and the wrinkles and scars that had formed over the years.
I would never be the chief that he was, but I could be my own chief, leaving my mark on Berk to remain as significant as Dad's did. I was finally getting the chief thing. I was now used to people asking me for pointless things that they could get themselves. I was used to sorting out the trades between other islands and planning for Berk's growth. I was slowly getting over Dad's death, not completely, I don't think I'll ever get over dad's death completely. But being the chief he would want me to be and letting Astrid calm my sobs even in the middle of the night helped me stay motivated enough to get through each day, because without that, I know I would fall apart.
It was morning and Berk was preparing for a dragon race; my first as their chief.
"You ready babe?" Astrid's voice came from behind me and I turned to find her and Stormfly ready to race. "Oh Hiccup! You haven't done your face paint yet!" She groaned coming over to help.
"Thanks M'lady,"
She smears the red paint on my cheeks before pecking my lips to finish.
"That's for good luck cause your gonna need it!" She winked at me.
"Why? Eret's only learnt the rules yesterday so he's no threat," I teased.
She playfully punched me and rolled her eyes before jumping on Stormfly to fly to the game that was starting any second. I took another look at my father's statue before following her ready for my first race as Chief... and my first race without dad's loud cheers for Astrid and me.