Chapter 1

Astrid's POV

Hiccup smiled out at Berk, his eyes full of nerves. Berkians young and old came to congratulate Hiccup or offer words of condolences for Stoick. I talked to Ruff for a bit before I found myself standing next to Valka.
"I think I've forgotten how to be social!" Valka whispered to me.
"I would too if I hadn't seen humans for 20 years!" I replied.
"No, I've made a few allies over the years, but nothing else!" Valka answered.
My eyes met hers and I smiled, "I'm Astrid by the way, Hiccup's betrothed." I introduce myself.
"Yes, I saw you two were close," she teased, indicating to the kiss Hiccup and I shared moments ago.
I felt my face go red, "we're normally pretty private about our relationship actually" I muttered.
The people of Berk started getting on our dragons to fly back to Berk, Hiccup came over and smiled at the two of us, "glad to see you two are getting along," he said. "Astrid doesn't generally bond easily," he stage whispered to Valka. "Shut up!" I punched him friendly.
"Do you need anything before we go back mum?" He asked her. "Just let me say good bye to these dragons, I also have to collect something," she replied, disappearing into her sanctuary.

Hiccup POV

Mum disappeared into her sanctuary to gather somethings and say goodbye to her dragons. Everyone had left to go back to Berk now and it was just Astrid and me waiting for mum.
"Hiccup are you ok?" Astrid asked me, "today has been crazy, and well, you're chief now and..." she trailed off, indicating to Dad's sudden death.
"I'm fine," I lied, "just tired," I replied, Astrid didn't believe me, of course she didn't! I was a 20 year old boy with the responsibility of a village and had just lost his father and found his mother, of course I wasn't fine. Astrid didn't say anything, she just wrapped me in a hug and let me break down into tears.
"Astrid?"
"Mmmm?"
" you know that I love you,"
"Yes I know that,"
"Good, just telling you in case I get too busy with chiefing to spend lots of time with you and I know it'll take a while to be able to juggle my duties and you and - "
Astrid shut me up by her lips on mine, before we broke apart without another word and stood their with her head on my shoulder and our arms wrapped around each other.
We stood there for ages, just her and me, as mum came from the sanctuary, her eyes wet and the king of dragons egg under her arm.... wait what?!?
The Bewilderbeast was the king of dragons! Of course! But mum had the very same egg under her arm as I had only months ago.
"Mum! Where did you get this?" I asked.
"Aren't you going to ask what dragon it is first?" She questioned.
"We know what it is, we had the same egg months ago," Astrid replied, coming up next to mum and examining the egg.
"Really?" Mum asked, her eyebrows raised. "I had it given to me by a friends, friend, friend, who had found the egg on an island a couple of months ago." She replied.
My gaze locked with Astrid as we pieced this all together. "I found that egg under beserker island, and our friends, the wing maidens knew someone who knew someone who could look after it...." I explained.
"Well, I was that someone," Mum answered.
We all stood their in disbelief before Astrid broke the silence. "We probably should get back to Berk, it'll be dark soon," she said.
We saddled up our dragons and mum took one final glance at her sanctuary that had took 20 years to build before she followed Astrid and I back to another life, leaving the last 20 years of her life behind.