Heartbeat Chapter 1. Memento Mori

Start from the beginning

In a clearer voice I said, “You told me that I’m dying. So how long do I have?”

“Don’t say such things Clover.” Jack, my 16 year old brother couldn’t hide his frustration in his voice. He grabbed his wavy blonde hair which he got from my mom, not sure if he was going to pull it or brush it away from his pale, handsome face.

His twin sister Amanda spoke up. “Yeah Clove, stop scaring us like that.” She glared at me before speaking to the doctor. “Tell us you just made a mistake.” She took a step forward. “How can you tell us that she’s dying when she’s healthier than all of us?” Tears were pouring down her face.

The doctor maintained a sober look. “It’s out of our hands. I’m sorry that we can’t do anything more for her. We haven’t encountered anything like this before. The other doctors were baffled as well.” To my mom he spoke, “We have counseling geared towards situations like this. I can recommend you if you want.”

My mom just nodded and didn’t speak- as if she was in a trance. I stared at my hands, unsure of how I felt. It was like I was numb and floating away from my body. If this was a dream or more like a nightmare, I want to wake up from it now. It was so unfair! Why me? What did I do to deserve this?

After speaking with the doctor, everyone tried to regain composure. We walked back to the car and stayed silent the whole time. The three of them couldn’t look at me, but I preferred it that way. It saved us from all the drama and consoling that I didn’t need at the moment. The ride home was the longest I had to endure in my life. I just stared out the window, wondering when it will end. Today? Tomorrow? Will I just close my eyes? Or will it hurt like hell?

We reached our 2-storey house after the 30 minutes drive and I quickly went inside. I wanted to avoid speaking to them until I gathered my thoughts. I looked around the living room. Everything stayed the same as before, from our cozy country style home, the cream colored sofa on the living room, to the bright yellow curtains on the window. The only one who seemed completely different was me.

Without warning, everything came crushing in; the doctors statement that morning, my fears, my longing to live, and my inability to accept death. I marched inside the kitchen and threw the first thing I saw- the ugly vase I made in pottery class. It shattered on the floor, and I was relieved to see it broken. Like me, no one could fix it now. I smiled to myself despite the crushing pain I was feeling at the moment.

 Upon hearing the ruckus I made, my mom and siblings ran to the kitchen and hugged me. I returned the embrace fiercely, and we stayed in that position for a long time, wondering who comforted who.

I couldn’t sleep that night. Who could blame me? I was so scared that I’ll never wake up again when I closed my eyes. I looked around my cozy room which was currently bathed in darkness. Despite my chaotic state, it all stayed the same.

The colorful corkboard that has pictures of me, my friends, and my family sat on top of the desk, next to the cabinetry. The bookshelf that was filled with my favorite novels stood perched near the bed. Even the ocean colored paint of the walls gave no indication that its owner was currently dying.

 I stayed on the bed, unmoving, barely able to hold my feelings in. What would happen to me? I’m going to miss a lot of things when I’m gone. Heck, I just turned 18 and have my whole life ahead of me. I haven’t even been kissed yet nor had a proper relationship, and now I was going to die a virgin, my mind cajoled. Life was so unfair, why couldn’t terrorists or bombers around the world suffer instead? I punched my pillow hard. Damn! I couldn’t even cry because I was so numb with fear.

The wind blew hard, and I could see the curtain by the window fluttering. I thought I closed that one earlier. The wind blew again, and I felt a shiver down my back. I’m such a paranoid freak.

I was about to burrow my head under the sheets when something silver caught my attention. I blinked my eyes thinking it was my imagination and saw a spark of silver again next to the window. I squinted hard, trying to see past the darkness.

“Is someone there?” I said out loud, trying to sound confident despite my jumbled nerves.

I waited.

“Look, if you’re here to rob us, I can’t promise that I won’t fight,” I said again.

There was no answer.

Oh, boy this is so my lucky day. First they told me I’m dying, and now someone is trying to rob us. Give me a break!

“I have nothing to lose. I’m coming after you.” I stood up from the bed, grabbed the baseball bat that I always kept near for emergency, and slowly made my way towards the source of the spark. I tried to walk as quietly as possible, so as not to frighten the robber. I was prepared to defend my family to death. At least I could die with honor. When I reached my destination, I swung my bat menacingly, only to hit nothing but air.

“I never took you for a fighter,” a mesmerizing voice whispered in my ear.

I stopped dead in my tracks and quickly scanned the room. My knees shook in fear. I could feel small beads of sweat forming on my forehead. From the corner of my eye, I saw someone moved on the bed. How did he get there so fast? Blood rushed to my face.

“Did I scare you?” A woman’s voice said.

“Show yourself,” I tried to say confidently, but my voice shook a little, revealing my fear.

A whisper, “Come closer.”

I hesitated, not knowing what would happen, but inched towards the voice slowly because of curiosity and a touch of stupidity, until she came in full view. I just gaped and stopped, the baseball bat falling from my hands in a soft thud.

I didn’t know exactly how to describe her.

She looked about my age. Her slender body was poised gracefully on the edge of the bed, as if she always belonged there. She had jet black hair that flowed past her feminine shoulder. Her pale skin seemed to be glowing, yet no spotlight was pointed at her. Her lips were positioned in a half smile-as if inviting me. Her lashes were long and thick. But what made me entranced was not her perfect beauty, but her electric blue eyes that seemed to radiate with a twinge of silver. Was that even possible? Clearly, she wasn’t human. But what was she, and why was she here?

And then she spoke. “My name is Emiri, and I am a vampire.” She smiled widely, her fangs glistening in the dark.