Almost Done

Two hours have passed and the atmosphere had changed. Jessica could feel the need to push. It was now that Jessica's contractions were right on top of one another. Jessica told Ashley and she checked Jessica.

Also between those two hours, Ashley has helped Jessica change into a sports bra. The nightgown that Jessica had been wearing had been getting in their way.

"You're fully dilated!" Ashley said. "Okay, listen to your body. Wayne get me that bowl of hot water. Patty Ann, give those wash cloths please."

Patty Ann had rejoined the family after some time in her room. She grabbed the washcloths and handed them to Ashley. Wayne placed the bowl beside her.

Ashley tossed the cloths into the hot water to soak. Ashley prepared and pulled away the blanket that had been covering Jessica's lower half. Patty Ann and Wayne averted their eyes away from their mother's lower area.

"Okay , Jess. I'm going to place these warm washcloths on you so they'll help stretch you." Ashley said.
Jessica nodded her head and opened her legs wide.
Ashley placed a cloth on Jessica and said. "Alright, when you feel the need to push, you push."

Jessica got herself ready; Jessica held Ruth's hand tightly and the next moment, she was pushing.

Ashley counted for Jessica then Jessica's head went back to lay on her pillow.

The minutes ticked by and the process kept repeating. Jessica would push while Ruth coached her through it.

Ashley would lift up the cloth and checked Jessica's progress every so often. She also replaced the now cool cloth with a fresh warm one.

By now, Wayne and Patty Ann had gotten over their awkwardness of seeing their mother half naked. They were more interested and concerned in the birth of their baby brother to feel awkward.

Twenty minutes later, Jessica stopped pushing to take a breather. Up until this point, Jessica was doing great of not letting the pain get to her. Now however, she finally let her tears fall.
She was feeling so overwhelmed and tired. She felt as if she couldn't go on.

Jessica squeezes her eyes shut and squeezed Ruth's hand as she pushed again. A guttural scream escaped her lips.

Ashley lifted the cloth and said. "Okay, Jessie, I see the baby's head. You're doing great. Keep up the good work." Ashley could tell Jessica was tiring, so she wanted to encourage Jessica to keep going. "You're almost done, okay."

Jessica pushed again but stopped; she felt as if laying on her back wasn't working. Jessica didn't say anything as she moved to squatting position. Ruth held Jessica in this new position. Ashley kept a close eye on the baby's progress.

Jessica braced herself again, she breathed in then pushed. Finally, the baby's head was making it's way out of Jessica.

Jessica screamed loudly as she experienced the "ring of fire".

Patty Ann had tears rolling down her cheeks. Even though she had always put on a tough facade, in this moment, she felt so scared.

Jessica screamed again as the baby's head was finally out. Jessica stopped and caught her breath.

"Oh Jessie! He's so cute!" Ashley said. "Reach down and you'll feel him. A few more pushes and he'll be here."

Jessica reached down with one hand, Ashley helping her and she felt her baby's face. A smile crossed Jessica's face and happy tears rolled down her cheeks.

"He's almost here, honey." Ruth said as her own tears rolled down her cheeks. "You're doing amazing."

Jessica then went back to pushing. Three pushes later, Jessica pushed for the last time.

Ashley caught the baby and Jessica laid back down on her pile pillows in exhaustion. Ashley put the baby on Jessica's chest.

Jessica wrapped her arms around her baby and cried. Ashley rubbed the baby's back and after a few tense seconds the baby cried out.

"Hi baby boy." Jessica said she heard his cry.
"Oh, you're so beautiful." She kissed his forehead and laid her head back into the pillow.

Jessica held onto him as she closed her eyes and cried. She had been close to giving up but she was so glad that Ruth and Ashley had encouraged her to keep going. Now she had her baby boy after all the pain, she knew it was all worth it.

Ashley smiled, her own tears rolling down her cheeks. She felt so honored to help Jessica deliver the baby. She covered the baby with a blanket, making sure that the baby and Jessica were touching skin to skin. It was very important for the both of them to bond this way.

Jessica opened her eyes and looked at Ruth. She smiled wide.
Ruth smiled through her tears and said. "You're amazing, Jess. I love you."
"I love you too." Jessica said tiredly.

Ruth kissed Jessica's lips and in that moment, Ruth felt as if she were the luckiest woman in the world.

Hope you enjoyed this chapter!

More to come soon.

I have a question; should the baby grow up and call Ruth "dad" like Patty Ann and Wayne do or should this be like a fresh new start for Ruth and have the baby call Ruth mama or another name for mama? Please let me know your thoughts.