Chapter 3

Song: The Devil Wears a Suit and Tie - Colter Wall

Xxxxxxxxxxx

It was another day of completing paperwork and Ella has decided to bring breakfast for Angeles this time. She ended up getting breakfast burritos and hoped he liked them well enough. She looked around the precinct for him and found him slumped on his desk filling out paperwork, his other hand poking his stress ball.

"Hey, Angeles!" She grinned and set the food in front of him.

He blinked at the bag before his face lit up, "Food?" He opened it and practically groaned at the smell, "Yes, burritos! Which one's mine?"

Ella shrugged, "Either one. I didn't know what you'd like so I just got what I get. It has eggs, bacon, a bit of peppers, and cheddar cheese."

Angeles gasped in delight, putting a hand to his chest, "A woman after my own heart. You are a blessing, Ms. Lopez."

"Just call me Ella, dude," She laughed, grabbing her own burrito. "Wanna go get coffee?"

He shook his head, "Luci already got us some." He picked up his devil stress ball and threw it at Lucifer.

The Devil caught it without looking and glanced down at it in surprise before tossing it back. He grabbed two coffees resting on Chloe's desk and brought it over to Angeles, "Get your own bloody coffee."

Angeles bat his eyes at the Devil, "But it's so sweet that you know my order."

Ella watched as the civilian consultant scoffed and she could have sworn there was a bit of pink dusting his cheeks. She almost wanted to squeal because, even after all those years of being apart, the club owner was still smitten with the black-haired detective. "Thanks, Lucifer, for the coffee again."

"Of course, Ms. Lopez," He said before returning to Chloe's desk to pester her.

"So," The forensic scientist turned to Angeles, who was sipping his coffee with contentment. "How'd you two meet?"

"Well," Angeles tilted his head, biting his lip like he was carefully choosing each word before he said them. "We met when I was eighteen. I hadn't decided if I wanted to be a cop then, I was just helping my mother around the house because she was sick." He paused a moment before continuing, "Believe it or not, Lucifer wasn't always the well-liked person he is today- at least not then and there. I had ran into him before- or, well, Luke did and I had just met him by extension. I couldn't stand him and not because he's an asshole- though that played a part- but because I couldn't stand him."

Ella nodded slowly and spoke carefully, "If you couldn't stand him then how did you two end up together?"

Angeles frowned and blinked rapidly for a moment, "I guess it's when my mom died..."

The forensic scientist's eyes widened and she waved her hands at him, "I'm so sorry, you don't have to talk about this! I shouldn't have said anything!"

"No, it's okay," He chuckled. "It's always going to hurt to talk about her, Ella, not matter what. She was my mom. But back to the story," He cleared his throat. "When she died, Lucifer- He was the only one that let me cry..." At her confused look, he clarified, "In Michigan, at least then, it wasn't... Acceptable for a man to cry. You had to be strong, the leader of your family. Emotions were... Tedious. And unimportant." He shrugged, "I know, it's fucked up but my neighborhood was full of old farts, so it was kind of a given. Anyways, Lucifer listened to me and helped me get back on my feet when I realized I was all alone in the house with no one but Luke."

"So, he..." Ella tried to find the right phrase to say but only ended up with, "Saved you?"

"Yeah," Angeles nodded. "Luke, my father, was not the best parent, ever. He was probably the worst. But we're not talking about him. Lucifer became my first friend and, well," He shrugged. "One thing led to another and bam! We were together."