Prologue

(I advise you to listen to the song above, it's perfect for this chapter & our main man's POV. Recommend by bellamcmay !! ♥️♥️)

Prologue

"Sir, I know it's been difficult getting Lionel to agree, maybe we should schedule a meeting face to face." Sebastian, Xavier's second in command, offered. He had been on his friend for weeks about just going across the state line to talk to the county sheriff there. He knew the elder man they had been working with would see it as a sign of respect and be more open to sharing information.

"How many times have I said that he's not going to agree unless we let him take over the case? No sense in wasting a trip just for him to tell me what I already know." Xavier said, the frustration evident in his tone.

He trusted Sebastian's opinion of course, but he was too stubborn to agree. Xavier had never had many problems with getting what he wanted before. Lionel, the old bastard, was set in his ways and it didn't help that the man didn't speak a lick of English either. Xavier didn't know much Spanish outside of pleasantries but had been practicing in hopes of getting on his good side. He sighed, rubbing his temples, he couldn't take much more of the back and forth and wanted to settle this for good.

"Alright," he conceded. "Schedule a trip for the end of this week, tell Aiden and James we'll probably be there for a few days. I want to go and scout first, so I will be leaving tomorrow and heading back the next day."

He didn't leave any room for the other man to argue as he stood from his office chair. He said goodnight to Sebastian and made his way out of the station and into the small home next door. After walking up a set of stairs and down a long hall to his bedroom, he fell into his bed, a groan of disdain filling the empty room. He hated being in here, where most people found comfort being in their own space, he felt an overwhelming sense of loneliness. He would never admit that to anyone of course, but the feeling ate away at him each night, little by little.

Growing up, he had watched his father cherish his mother more than life. Their bond made him believe everything would be alright in the world once he had his own soulmate by his side, but as the years went on his hope dwindled slowly into nothing. Every night he asked the big man upstairs why he hadn't been led to her yet. Constantly struggling with why he was feeling such sorrow, especially now when he was 30 years old. He was certain his soulmate was either dead, lifetimes away or that she didn't exist. Sighing, he kicked off his pants and got under the covers.

Xavier Knight was his name; he took his father's middle name as his first and he did so proudly. At 30 years of age, he had been Sheriff of his town for 9 years, following in his father's footsteps he was elected Sheriff when his father stepped down. He was strong, strong-willed, and fair, everything his father had taught him to be, but like every man, he needed a woman by his side. He knew how much stronger it would make him, having an equally strong partner to care for him and be cared for.

He envisioned her sometimes, his way of coping with the solitude that engulfed him. If she would be tall or short, heavyset or skinny. Would her hair be blonde, brown, blue? Would she curl into him at night when she slept, hold him when he needed her? Would she kiss him when she awoke in the morning? Would she be a spitfire or a sweetheart? He didn't have any preference, he just wanted her, but he knew it would never happen and that fucking killed him.