Part 22

A little later, the three of them (Shashank, Padma and Anjali) came out of the ICU, looking glum.

Padma put her hand on Armaan's shoulder, "beta...jaao...Riddhima ko dekh lo...pata nahin phir wo..." she sat down and started crying on his shoulder.

"Aunty...Riddhima ko kuch nahin hoga.... main jaanta hoon ..." Armaan stroked Padma's head.

Armaan was let in after the Gupta's gave permission for him to see their niece.

Armaan entered the ICU and stood near Riddhima's bed. He could not believe that she was the same woman he had in his arms just a few days ago. The frown on her forehead indicated that she was probably in pain.... had all sorts of tubes and monitors connected to her....... her eyes were closed......she could not be his Riddhima.... where was her smile? why was she not able to disconnect herself from all those wires and run to him...hug him as she had always done. He mustered some courage and went closer to her. He held her still hand....it felt the same...as soft and delicate as always.....he placed his hand over her chest.....her heart was beating just the same way it always did when she was near him......he was going to make sure she would fight this tragedy.....he would be there for her.....till the end....and beyond.......

As he turned around to leave, he saw the frown on her forehead had gone......did she know he was there.... or was it his touch??.... He left the ICU in a hurry. He did not stop in the waiting area or talk to anyone.

"Lagta hai.... ussey Riddhima ka dard dekha nahin gaya..." Padma said.

A few hours later, Armaan came back with an elderly gentleman.

He buzzed the button to the ICU and talked to the nurse when she came out. She was hesitant but let Armaan and the older gentleman in. Armaan turned around, "aunty, uncle aap bhi aa jaaiye...thodi der ke liye hum sab jaa saktey hain..."

They walked over to Riddhima's bedside and said, "panditji...aap ko jo formalities karni hai...please jaldi karr dee jiye...."
The priest recited some prayers at Riddhima's bed side, as Armaan and the Gupta's watched. Armaan then took some sindoor out from a little silver box and placed a pinch in Riddhima's maang. He took out a mangalsutra and placed it at Riddhima's bedside.

Padma had tears in her eyes and gave her blessings to Armaan, "Beta.... tumney jo kiya hai...wo koyi aur nahin karr sakta...Riddhima ab tumhari zimmedari hai.... hum toh bas uss ke mausi mausa hain.... tum hi uss ke pati ho.... ho sakey toh hum sab ko maaf karr dena..."

Shashank patted Armaan's back.... "Thanks, Armaan.... I am sorry maine tumhey galat samjha...." Armaan just nodded.

They all came out to the waiting area where Anjali was still sitting. She looked up, "mama.... kya hua?" Padma told her what had happened inside the ICU.

Anjali walked up to Armaan, "Armaan.... I am sorry.... main nahin jaanti thi tum Riddhima sey itna pyaar kartey ho.... maine hamesha sirf Riddhima ko blame kiya.... mujhey laga wo hi tumharey peechey padhi hai...."

Armaan walked away from her, "Anjali.....tum yeh jaan lo....yadi meri Riddhima ko kuch bhi ho gaya....toh main tumhey kabhi maaf nahin karoonga......tell me what happened between you and Riddhima when I was gone"

Anjali and Armaan sat down in a corner-

FLASHBACK FROM 1 WEEK AGO:

Riddhima was dancing to the old "sahib biwi aur ghulam" song when she heard a knock on the door, she paused her music and tohught, "Kahin Armaan ki flight aaj bhi toh miss nahin ho gayi?...."

She opened the door but was shocked to see Anjali at the door.

"Didi.... aap? Aap kab aayi? Phone bhi nahin kiya" Riddhima was genuinely happy to see Anjali.