Part 9

Billy went to Shashank's room. He explained the situation with Armaan wanting to postpone the engagement due to the absence of his best friend Shabbir.

"Malik sahib.... aap toh ladke waaley hain.... jaisa aap kahengey waisa hi karengey.... koyi baat nahin.... Mumbai jaate hi date fix karr lengey" Shashank reassured Billy.

Billy was pleased that the Gupta's were open minded, easygoing people and having them, as "samdhi's" was a good decision.

Billy patted Shashank's back, "You have my word, Armaan aapka hi damaad banega.... aur kisi ka nahin...."

Muskaan overheard their conversation and smiled at the hidden meaning of Billy's promise.

RIDDHIMA's ROOM

Anjali barged into Riddhima's room.

"Riddhima! tumhey pata tha ki engagement aaj nahin ho rahi?"

"Mujhey.... mujhey kuch nahin pata didi.... parr kyon...aaj kyon nahin ho rahi...?" That was news to Riddhima also. She thought, "toh kal raat Armaan sach bol raha tha kya? Nahin aisa nahin hona chahiye...."

"Well.... Armaan tumsey kaafi baatein karta hai...mujhey laga usney kuch kaha hoga.... anyways.... Mumbai jaakar saari tayyari karr lena...." as Anjali turned around to leave, she saw the iPod on Riddhima's bed.

"Riddhima...yeh tumhey kahan sey mila...?" Anjali was surprised to see the expensive gadget with Riddhima. Anjali had always been the recipient of all new purchases at home, Riddhima always got hand me downs.

"Oh...didi...yeh mere ek dost ney diya hai...." Riddhima was scared to say the name as she had already sensed some anger from Anjali whenever Riddhima was with Armaan.

Anjali checked out the iPOD, envious that Riddhima had something so fancy but kept quiet and left. She reasoned, "I can always buy the latest version anytime..."

ARMAAN'S ROOM

Muskaan was talking to Armaan's, "Toh devarjee...aapka kaam ho gaya...."

"Abhi poora nahin hua hai bhabhi...engagement postpone hi huyi hai.... cancel nahin..." Armaan said seriously

"Wo bhi ho jaayegi.... don't be so impatient.... we must be a little tactful.... Dad aur Riddhima dono ki izzat ka sawaal hai.... Mumbai chalkar sochengey...."

Muskaan left as she saw Anjali entering.

Anjali came and hugged Armaan, "Armaan.....I am so disappointed aaj hamari engagement nahin ho payi....I was looking forward to going shopping with you....well koyi baat nahin....Mumbai mein formalities karr lengey.....chalo mere saath coffee peene chalo....I will take you to my favorite coffee shop"

Armaan obliged reluctantly as he remembered Muskaan's words of wisdom about not making a scene there.

AT THE COFFEE SHOP

Armaan sipped on his coffee and remained silent as Anjali talked about the world, politics, business, share markets, mergers and acquisitions

Finally Armaan said, "Anjali.....apni family ke barey mein kuch batao....I would like to know..."

Anjali was not used to talking about her family with people, she found personal conversations kind of boring, "Oh....not much to tell.....main apney mama papa ki ek lauti beti hoon....aur Riddhima meri cousin hai...bachpan mein uskey parents accident mein marr gaye the....tabhi sey hamare saath rehti hai......she is a nice girl but you know, not that bright..........she was always an average student......not like you and me!" she grinned

Armaan clenched his teeth but resisted raising his voice, "well...she is the only one working on two degrees at the same time......I think that is very commendable.....I think everyone has a talent in a different area....that's what makes the world go around...." He looked at his watch, "chalo...Anjali ab chalte hain.... dad wants to reach Mumbai at a decent time.... he has an early morning meeting" he got up after paying the bill.

Anjali was not thrilled with Armaan defending Riddhima. She decided to change the topic.

"Acha Armaan.... batao tumhara aagey kya plan hai.... matlab career plans kya hain.... are you going to stay in consulting or join your dad...?"

Armaan was visibly irritated, "Anjali...main itni door ki nahin soch tha hoon.... I have some bigger problems to deal with!" he looked at Anjali with the corner of his eyes hinting at the "biggest problem" at his hands!

THE MALIK'S DEPARTURE

The Malik's were very appreciative of the hospitality by the Gupta's.

"Padma bahen.... humein time ka pata hi nahin chala.... aap logon ney hamari bahut achch khatirdaari ki.... ab Mumbai jaakar sagaayi ki tayyari karte hain..." Ananya squeezed Padma's hands

Billy and Shashank also exchanged hugs. Anjali was expecting some form of intimacy from Armaan, but he just shook her hand, "Thanks...Anjali for everything......I will never forget this trip..." his eyes were trying to locate Riddhima. Riddhima had decided to stay inside after she had sensed that Anjali was in a foul mood since she came back from her outing with Armaan.

Muskaan sensed Armaan's restlessness.

"Armaan.... mera phone nahin mil raha...please zara dekh karr aao...kahin oopar room mein toh nahin reh gaya?" Muskaan winked at Armaan

Armaan got the message, "haan bhabhi ...abhi jaata hoon..." he bolted from the group and ran upstairs.

Rahul was surprised, "Muskaan.... tum toh bahut organized ho.... phone kaise bhool gayi?"

Muskaan elbowed him, "Pata nahi aaj kal thodi bhulakadd ho gayi hoon.... tumhari company ka asar hai" Rahul smiled as he knew how disorganized he was; he could not function without Muskaan.... she took care of everything....

Armaan looked for Riddhima everywhere. He was desperate to meet her before he left. He finally found her sitting on a chair on the terrace listening to her music.

"Riddhima.... RIDDHIMA!" he had to repeat himself as she was immersed in the music.

She startled and got up, "OH...Armaan.... mujhey laga aap log chaley gaye hongey..."

Armaan's eyes had a very tender look, "I had to say goodbye to my friend...." He came closer and squeezed her hands and then planted a kiss on her forehead. Riddhima closed her eyes and a tear escaped from them. She remained silent and softly said, "Thank you Armaan.... I am sorry maine tumhey galat samjha...." They both stood there staring into each other's eyes......there was only love in them for each other....

Armaan turned around to leave but turned back, "Can I call you on your phone sometimes?"

Riddhima nodded and smiled through her tears....