CHAPTER 3 - I Remember

Start from the beginning

He gets up and frustratedly sighs once more. His footsteps get gradually quieter as I'm, once again, left alone with my own thoughts.

***

I wake up, and everything's different.

My vision is filled with a bright yellow light. My eyes are open. My mind isn't just awake; my body is also awake, for the first time in hours. I sit up, taking in my surroundings as my eyes adjust to the light. I'm in a wooden room, with a faded burgundy blanket lying messily on the floor. I must've kicked it off during my sleep.

During my nightmare.    

I remember. The labs, scientists, tests, water tanks, Thomas. Tousled brown hair and even darker brown eyes. That's when I'm reminded of Newt's own chocolate brown eyes... why wasn't he in the dream?

With thoughts buzzing around my mind, I sit up abruptly, yanking the sheets off of my body and standing up. My legs wobble and shake, I almost fall back onto the bed, yet I force myself to stay standing, putting one foot in front of the other until I'm stumbling across the small room towards the door. I open the door, pushing it open with such force that it slams loudly and I see heads turning to look my way. As soon as I run out of the door, I halt in my tracks, taking in the environment I'm surrounded by. My eyes scan the sky - bright blue with white clouds scattered as far as I can see, and an enormous green field lying right in front of me. My eyes then turn to scan the field, which meets a deep, jade forest, with some small wooden buildings lining the forest's edge. Finally, my eyes are completely drawn to meet four massive stones walls, ivy clinging to the sides of them. The Maze.

"What the..." I mutter, my eyes wide. Maze? How did I... how did I know that? I see hoards of boys around the confinement pointing towards me, yelling and shouting with worried expressions painted so clearly across their shocked faces.

Before too long, the boys begin to run towards me, shouting to the others, "She's awake! The girl's awake!" A broad boy with short brown hair and narrowed eyebrows is the first to approach me... as well as a tall, lean boy with blonde hair and a questioning expression: Newt.

With my heart thudding against my chest, I balls my hands into fists, adopting a fight stance - most of these boys don't look too happy to see me awake. 

"Don't... come... any closer!" I command, gritting my teeth together in anger. Newt puts his hands in front of him, as if in surrender.

"Woah, woah... calm down, alright? We're not gonna hurt you," he assures me, eyes wide.

Without warning, the brown-haired boy breaks forward and strides towards me with an angry look set upon his face.

"Back off!" I yell furiously. However, he doesn't stop, despite Newt snapping at him to stop.

Suddenly, I hit him hard in his stomach. He doubles over, and seizing the opportunity, I run past him, and dodge Newt in my path to continue running across the field.

"Gally, leave her alone!"

"Stop being such a shank, you're freaking her out!"

So that's Gally - and he's pursuing me. 

I dash towards some sort of treehouse, and quickly scramble up the ladders to the top, locking the trapdoor behind me. Soon, a large crowd of boys gather beneath the treehouse, some laughing, others yelling. My head whips from left to right as I take in my surroundings.

"Someone get Thomas!" one boy shouts.

"No, someone force that shucking door open! Get that girl out here!"

I try to scream above the uproar, however even when my voice is projected it sounds miniscule compared to the boys' deep yells. I look around the treehouse, and see pots, cups, wooden planks and various other items. I pick as many up as I can and throw them towards the crowd. The boys dive away from them and snap their heads towards me irritably. Some of them grab larger wooden items to cover their heads, but I keep throwing.

"Leave me alone!" I yell, continuing to throw the items towards the crowd.

"Hey!" Gally shouts. "Throw one more of those things, I'm-"

I hear Gally grunt slightly as a small wooden plank comes into contact with his head. I can't help but snicker to myself smugly as I prepare to throw a bowl into the mob of boys.

"I don't think she likes us very much," I hear Newt joke. My raised arm freezes mid-air, but I don't know why, so I shake my head and continue to throw.

"Hey, look, we just wanna talk!" someone else shouts up to me. I recognise that voice.

"I'm warning you!" I scream back. I lob a bundle of items towards them with more force this time. "I'm not here to hurt anyone so stop trying to catch me!"

"Hey, hey, hey! Woah, it's Thomas! It's Thomas!"