Chapter 27

"MORNING NELL." I greeted closing my car door shut. She stop watering her flowers and turned to me, a grin stretching on her face.

"Anna. Oh my gosh, is this really you?" She drops the watering kettle down and hugs me. I giggle, hugging her back. "Is there some kind of comet heading our way, to what do we owe this once in a life time visit?"

"Oh come on, it hasn't been that long since I came around." I say. Nelly Hoff has the widest smile and highest cheekbones I've ever seen. I'm pretty sure if she really tried, she could literally showcase all thirty two teeth in a smile.

"It has been, too long even." She says picking the kettle up again. "You weren't this tall, the last time I saw you."

"Maybe but you haven't changed to me."

"I take that as compliment. I don't think you'll see me changing anytime soon."

I laugh, "Christine said to give her a ride, her scooter stop working again."

A displeased frown masks her face. "That's because she's careless and doesn't take good care of that bike. Tell me, isn't that bike beautiful and great?"

I gulp, "y-yea, it is."

"Right? I bet lots of students envy her and she herself has no interest in it. That bike is a treasure, she's just too dumb to see it." Nell says shaking her head as she continues watering her flowers.

"I am dumb?" Christy asks appearing in the doorway, fully dressed and clad in her school uniform.

I almost laugh at the irony. If anyone is dumb, its definitely not Christine Hoff. A parallel A star student.

"Yes, you dumb, careless child." Nell says pointing at her. "You should walk to school, I don't know why Anna's here to help. You don't deserve it."

Christy rolls her eyes. "Stop being so annoyed. That bike was doomed to fail sooner or later and you know it."

"Say what now?" Nell asks using her watering kettle to pour water all over her niece. Christine shrieks running off.

"Aunt!"

"I better not see your face around here without giving the scooter over to Jim. And I'll use your allowance to pay for repairs!" Nell yells and we get into my car.

"I can't believe this. I'm wet!" Christy says her eyes inspecting her body. I burst out laughing and she glares. "Just drive. Please."

"Your aunt is wonderful." I tell her, driving out of the street.

"You say that because you're not the one doused with water and is forced to ride an ugly, noisy, old beat down scooter to school every morning." Christine deadpans.

I gasp, switching lanes. "Don't tell me, you ruined it yourself."

"Unfortunately, no. The old thing just knocked in and stopped working. I had nothing to do with it. I see it as a sign and blessing. Too bad Nell doesn't."

I lean toward her, "you scent of fresh daisy."

Christine smiles, then groans. "That reminds me, the Munroe's came over for 'inspection' of the building last night."

"What kind of inspection?"

"I don't know, this is the first of its kind, headed by no other than Evelyn herself. She looked enraged and decided to take it out on me. Gosh, I can't wait to finish up, leave this town. So Nell can let go that building and rent a small place for herself."

I give her a small sympathetic smile. Then squeeze my face in confusion. "Do you have any idea why she was enraged?"

"Yup." She smiles. "Aiden called it off."