CHAPTER ONE: The Acceptance Letter

Start from the beginning

The other remaining castes, called the First, Second and Fourth Order, also had specific roles in the society. For instance, the First Order, which consist of very rich and illustrious families whose coin purse were overflowing with wealth they didn't even need, held important positions in the Government. The Second Order, the educated classes, though not as rich as the First, were still rich enough to live a life with certain privileges. Using their degree, they serve the Government and its interests. As for the bottom most caste, Lira was just thankful she was not born in the Fourth. She couldn't imagine herself serving one family for the rest of her life. The Fourth Order lived their entire life working for one master and his family, and their children and children's children would have to do the same.

Lira often wondered what people from the Fourth felt with their lifetime of servitude to one family. But she would never know the answer. She did not know anyone from that Order. The truth was she did not know anyone from the castes other than her own. Sure, she saw them at school but they never get to talk with each other. People from different castes avoided each other as much as possible.

At that time, it was the best solution the Government could find. Now, Lira doubted the course of action the former government took. As what Lira observed in today's society, there was a very distinct line drawn between the rich and the poor; between the upper two castes and the bottom two. She often times questioned herself the real basis for creating such a system. After all, it wasn't Lira's fault that her great grandfather was born poor.

Even though Lira belonged to the Third, she still had no chance to attend senior high. They were not allowed to do so anymore. As far as what she knows, there were only a handful of teachers across the country, which meant they could not accommodate all children. Since the government also made the people understand the specific role of each caste, the masses figured a member of the lower caste does not need extensive education to help them do manual labors. No one she knew ever questioned the castes system. It was their way of life; it was how they lived, and everybody accepted it as their fate.

But this piece of lovely letter she clutched so dearly is the key to her dreams. If she completed her senior year, the Academy will recommend anyone from the lower caste to be promoted to the Second Order. A caste higher meant a better life for her and her aunt. Now she needed to discuss this with her aunt. If only Lira could find her...

Lira saw Auntie May sitting on a chair on her usual spot beside the window, eyes closed. She smiled and shook her head thinking her aunt fell asleep again while the television was on.

Lira noticed how tired her aunt was. Auntie May looked thin and frail, her skin seemed pale as sheet; her hallowed-cheek face made Lira's heart ache as the black shadows underneath her aunt's eyes became even more prominent. She knew Auntie May spent her night ironing clothes from the Second for extra money. Lira knew they were poor, but were they really that destitute? She tiptoed slowly as to not disturb her aunt's nap and was about to turn the television off when she heard Auntie May stirred.

"What time is it?" Auntie May croaked. "No. Don't turn it off. I was waiting for the news."

"Okay," Lira said. She grabbed a wooden stool from the corner, dragged it beside her aunt's chair, and sat. She would rather discuss the letter she received than watch boring news. What's with grown-ups and news anyway? Current events? Everything remains the same anyway. But she kept her thoughts to herself as to not offend her aunt.

Lira eyed their modest cottage instead. The walls were mostly made of dark wood and some parts with sawali painted with a sad shade of brown, making the interior of the house looked dull and gloomy. She shifted her gaze up at the ceiling and she knew that the thatched roof might need a little fixing. She made a mental note to ask Uncle Ned (she calls all her neighbors uncles and aunties) if he could stop by and help fix the roof. Maybe he could also help her paint the house a nice shade of pink—