PROLOGUE

Year 2109

He advanced towards the dark lit corridor as he tried to compose his features to hide his great despair. As he took even paces, he pushed away his sorrow and grief, his memory of his only love, at the back of his mind. He pushed it even further, buried it at the recesses of his unconscious mind, and barricaded it with thick walls. It is well known that the great king Magnus, head of the vampire coven Imperial, who ruled this part of the world, can read minds and even control it with his powers. No. The king already took his beloved away from him forever; the king will not also take away those cherished memories.

As he neared his destination, he hardened his features into an inscrutable façade. Two guards stationed at the golden framed door bowed when they saw him approaching. He swept inside the room where he found his king sitting on a high back chair facing the window, with a glass of dark red drink on one hand. The room was lavishly decorated as befitting his station. The king really enjoys basking himself in a luxurious lifestyle he acquired from exploiting the locals of this land.

It was nearly dawn, he noted, and his king should have pulled down the curtains that hang on the wide expanse of window in his room. They may consider themselves as modern day vampires but a narrow ray of sunlight could still be fatal for them. He heaved a heavy sigh and moved towards the window and pulled the chords down to close the curtains.

"So my son still has little concern left for me, I see," the king scorned.

"I have no qualms about you getting chard, father, however I do still want to live long enough to gloat on your death bed," he sneered.

The king gave a shout of laughter veiled with malice. "That is only but a dream of yours. Nevertheless, I will outlive my sons." He drank the remaining liquid in one gulp and stood up facing his son. His face maybe pale and gaunt, and his hair, that was once a dark shade of brown in color like his sons, may have turned silver, but his eyes where still the same piercing black that made all his formidable foes cower with fear. "You're quite a disappointment to me, really. It is a nice consolation knowing that even though you're my eldest son you will never inherit my throne."

He felt a tick in his jaw as his hands formed a fist on his sides, his fingers digging in his palms. "You and your throne can rot in hell." That non-existent throne. What utter rubbish! This was a land their coven stole from the people of this country just so they could play this stupid game of war with the other covens from across the globe.

"Bitterness does not suit you well, Philip," the king smirked. "However, if you still have it in your undead heart to look after your brother after I succumb to my slumber, then I might just spare the life of your precious Cassandra's child."

Philip narrowed his gaze at his father.

The king gave his son an eerie smile, an aura of malevolence emanating. "You're surprised that I know this piece of garbage," he stated. "You see, my delinquent son, I am THAT good. No matter how hard you try to build walls around your mind, I can still drill into them, deeper in your thick headed skull."

"You will not touch a single hair on her!" Philip hissed, baring his fangs. His eyes shone black, his claws ready to strike. He will take his king right there and then. He knew he will die on sight. His strength is still no match with his father. But he doesn't care anymore. He wanted to die and join Cassandra in the otherworld. But a vision of a pair of brown eyes clouded his thoughts; eyes of an innocent child that needed his protection. He forced to calm himself as he dragged a rugged breath out of his chest.

"So you will honor your duty to your brother," the king said confidently. He moved slowly towards the counter and poured himself another drink. "Would you like some?" he offered his son. "Type AB. Your favorite. Straight from a mortal after I slit her throat."

"You're despicable, you disgust me."

"I couldn't care less," the king said waving his hand as if dismissing Philip's comment. "I want to know if the task is done."

He gave his father a look of hatred he had mastered since he was a child. "If you're referring to the elimination of the slayer leaders, then yes, they have been taken care of."

"That is good. See to it that the right people will be placed in position. Also make sure that our tracks have been covered and the blame should be pointed elsewhere."

"It is done," Philip said.

The king faced Philip and with gravity he stated, "Now I can sleep. I will awake when the time comes; when your brother assumes his position in the coven."

"Yes father, go to sleep. And when you're in deep slumber I'll make sure everything will be right again. You're in for a big surprise when you wake up, and there is nothing you can do about it," Philip vowed to himself as he stalked outside of his father's room.