Chapter 13:

Giving birth is literally the worst experience I've ever had. It was so painful. I won't be doing it again for a long long time. I look up from Luna when Dr. Bennett walks in. "How you doing Pepper?" she smiles and walks over to me. I sigh and shrug. "I'm alright." I say. "Has it gotten any easier to breast feed Luna?" she asks. "Yeah, it doesn't hurt as much as before." "That's good. So you've been in the hospital for about three days now, and I think it's safe to say you and your daughter are healthy." 

"We're going to release you today. We just need one of your parents to sign the release papers." Dr. Bennett says. "Oh they're in the cafeteria. They should be back soon." I tell her. Dr.Bennett nods and smiles. "Are you nervous about taking her home?" asks she.  "A little bit. Ben works a lot so he won't be with me all the time. My parents are usually pretty tired when they get home from work and my brother just went back to school." I sigh. 

Dr. Bennett nods. "I understand. I was really scared with my first child too. But you'll be fine. You have your family, Ben, and his dad right?" she states. "And maybe you could talk to Ben about working less hours now that Luna is here" Dr. Bennett suggests. I nod. "That sounds like a great idea. Maybe I will." I say. The door opens and in walks my parents. 

"Oh, hi Dr.Bennett. What brings you by?" my dad asks. "We're going to release Pepper and Luna today. I just need you to sign the forms." she holds out a clipboard. "Finally. I'm tired of coming to this place." Mom grabs the clipboard and starts filling out the information. "Here, let me take her. You take a shower and get dressed." Dad takes Luna from me. 

I nod and get out of the bed. I grab the hospital bag and go into the bathroom. It's so hard doing things with a newborn. The nurses help out as much as they can but they have other patients too. I take a long hot shower. I let the water run over my face and then I wash my hair. I get out, dry off, and change clothes. 

I toss my hair up in a bun and brush my teeth quickly. I come out of the bathroom and grin when I see Ben. "What are you doing here? I thought you had to work." I walk over and hug him. "Well my boss heard that you had given birth so he agreed to let me leave early for the next few weeks." says Ben. "Oh thank god." I say. 

Ben laughs at me and shakes his head. He walks over to my dad and picks up Luna. "There's my girl." he grins and kisses her cheek. "You ready to go home?" he talks to her in a baby voice while putting her in the car seat. I smile and grab the hospital bag. "Here you go." Mom hands the clipboard to Dr.Bennett.  Dr.Bennett glances over the papers and nods. 

"Alright you're good to go. Don't forget you have to get Luna's shots in two months." Dr.Bennett walks over to the door. I nod. "I'll make an appointment when we get home." I say. Ben takes the car seat off the bed and opens the door. "Alright, let's go." he says. I look around the room to make sure we have everything and follow him out. 

"I miss my bed." I state walking with Ben. Ben smirks, "I'm sure you do." We walk over to Ben's car and I watch as he puts Luna in the back seat and then straps the car seat in. I slide in the back when he's finished. Ben shuts the door and then gets in the drivers seat. Ben starts driving us home. "Are you nervous to have her home with us?" I ask him. 

Ben thinks for a moment. "Yes and no. I'm happy that we get to bring her home but what do we know about being parents?" he says. "We'll figure it out. We have plenty of help. It especially helps that you won't be working so much anymore." I say. Ben nods in agreement. "Yeah true. So have you decided if you're going back to school when it starts?" Ben asks.