Chapter 12

The door opened again and Danika mindlessly wondered if keeping it open might be wiser. Alina and Alex walked in, followed closely by another woman.

'Evangeline, my mother's assistant and daughter of Josie, one of the heads of council.'

'Hello darling.' Alina kissed his cheek sweetly.

She looked upon the young woman standing beside her son and smiled softly, loud and clear she thought with amusement. Alina turned and continued into the ball room, followed by everyone except Danika and Lucian.

'Heads of council?'

'Yes, my mother and three others. When my grandparents were murdered and my mother went missing the council was formed to take over until she was brought back.'

'Sorry?' she frowned 'You said missing, you've said that she was kidnapped, that's what we were taught, now you're saying brought back. Which is it?'

'Oh.' he chuckled. 'Well it was a ruse to protect her. She was an infant and they knew her uncle wanted her dead so they hid her with humans.'

'Who hid her?'

Right on cue the door opened and two women walked through, followed by their partners.

'Phoenix vampires. Miranda and Josie.' he frowned. 'Well actually, now they are just Phoenix, we don't refer to them as vampires anymore.'

Lucian knew what her question was, waiting to be sprung from those sweet pink lips.

'Miranda was the first, originally as a vampire. Then when Josie came along possessing all four elements of the dark beings, it was seen as ideal for Miranda to alter her abilities and title as well. So they are the first of their kind and all of their offspring's are the same. There is no half breeding of their kind, they are always full Phoenix.'

'What do you mean half breeding?'

'Well with the four types if they breed outside of their own group, their offspring will inhabit both qualities.'

'Oh.' she paused as she took it in.

The four people stopped momentarily to greet them and then continued into the ball room.

'Do you know anyone like that?'

Lucian held his breath as he looked at her, she waited for a response, his face was unreadable. He did know someone that was half breed.

'My father is half vampire, half shape shifter. Eris is my father's uncle.'

'You're related to Phabel.'

'Yes.'

Danika chuckled. 'That's so cool. He's such a crank. I might just go back to university to give him a hard time now.'

'Phabel, a crank?' Lucian grinned and pointed to the doors of the ball room 'That man in there, you think he's a crank?'

'Yep. Maybe you should sit in on one of his classes. What's he normally like if he's not the crank I think he is?'

'Party animal.'

Danika snorted with laughter.

'Oh that is so not possible.'

'It's true.'

'So does that mean that you're a shape shifter too?'

'Yes.'

'Aww cool, show me.'

'Jeez, now is not the time.'

'Pleeease.' she pouted playfully and fluttered her eyes.