Chapter 13

In the ball room Alina was in deep discussion with Terrance, Miranda and Josie about her idea. It was a simple idea but she needed approval from all of them in order to make it pass as law. All of them agreed, on a few provisos, seeing how much Lucian had changed just by the presence of this woman. They held hope that he would meet their requirements. The staff had removed most of the tables, leaving just the main table that the heads had sat at during the meeting. Lucian re-entered the ball room, finding the four of them waiting for him.

'Lucian, please sit.' his mother said warmly.

'Tell us of what is going on between you and the girl.' Terrance was always firm with his words, never mucking about.

'Not much.' he shrugged 'Just kisses at the moment.'

'But the future?' Miranda prompted.

'I don't know; I mean I do see a future with her but I don't know what she wants.'

'Have you not read her mind?' Josie's turn now.

'I can't get in. I think Finn and Lorccán were able to though. I think she has had someone teach her really well.'

He frowned knowing exactly who had taught her. Lucian thought that words needed to be spoken to a certain family member about what he was teaching the humans.

'Yes.' Terrance hummed. 'She has shown great interest in our world, do you see this as a promising sign?'

'I do.'

'Did I hear her talk of studies?'

'Yes, she did a vampiric course during her studies, studying Phabel's work. She knew a fair number of things already but not the politics.'

'Do you think that she is interested in vampiric politics?'

'Yes, I do think she is. Can I ask where you lot are going with this?'

'Lucian, you know my many tasks are rather taxing on me, I know I have too much on my plate. Previously I have just accepted it as my duties and carried on as best I could but the change in your persona has given me hope that you might be ready for more than just... this.' she gestured to the grand ball room.

'We have discussed it and agreed to the idea and now we wish to speak with you about it and talk of the conditions if you accept.'

'Ok.'

'I suggested that you take over as ruler of Rostonin. You would become king of this land. What do you think?'

'I don't know actually, what are the conditions?'

'Well for one, there is no returning to the days of old, no more harem, no more cheating on your girlfriend. The next is the narcotics and the drinking. That needs to stop without question. The next relates to that girl, have you fed from her?'

'No.'

'So you don't know if she's your mate?'

'Does she need to be?'

'No not really. It would just be more intense for you, that's all. If you aren't interested in finding your true life mate, then so be it. So, the girl?'

'It's a bit soon to be making a call on that one, isn't it?'

'You tell us son. In your mind you've already married her.'

Lucian cringed, knowing his mother had been in his mind and he didn't even know. She was so quiet and careful; he would never know unless she told him.

'How about this...' Terrance interjected 'In the time that she is here, begin the courting process, bed her if you want, feed from her to check and then at the end of her stay decide what you want. It isn't necessary for you to be married to ascend to the throne but the philandering has to stop.'