Chapter 1

They say smell is more closely related to memories than any other sense and that it can trigger some of the strongest and most emotionally charged memories. That was true for Opie as he stepped into the cabin after 60 long months in Chino. Years of childhood fun, teenage debauchery, and many bloody club injuries came rushing back as he breathed in the musty old smells of the cabin.

"Pop?" He called out loudly.

A woman poked her head out from the hallway with a smile. "Hi," she smiled warmly. "Opie, right?"

"Who are you?" His eyebrows furrowed and his forehead creased as he looked at her suspiciously.

"Eva Baxter," she said, walking toward him with her hand out to shake his. "I'm your father's nurse."

"Oh," he nodded and shook her hand. "I didn't know he was that bad." In the awkward and emotional situation, he shuffled on his feet and adjusted his beanie.

"Well, if he was more responsible," she said with a half frown. "He's not too bad, just needs someone to check on him and make sure he's taking his medicine and eating properly."

"You're my stepmom then," Opie joked.

"Basically," she laughed. "I am fully licensed and qualified, though," Eva started to explain.

"It's all good," he assured her. "Gemma hire you?"

"Yeah," Eva nodded. "I worked with Tara briefly at Saint Thomas when she came back. I didn't want to leave but," she shrugged.

"Gemma's pushy," Opie said. "Whatever they're paying you, I can't," he explained. "I just got...back, and I'm broke."

"You're fine," she waved her hand at him.

Opie huffed and without another word moved further into the cabin. "Pop?"

"My boy!" Piney said happily as they hugged.

Eva watched with a smile as she gathered her things and prepared to head home. She didn't want to interrupt but the reunion was taking longer than expected.

"Sorry," she said timidly. "I'm going to get outta here, I just wanted to let you know."

"You meet her?" Piney asked Opie, still smiling from ear to ear. "She's been taking good care of your old man."

"It's been my pleasure," she smiled sweetly. "I'm taking the laundry, Piney, is everything in the basket?"

"It is," he chuckled, leaning over to kiss her cheek.

"I'll see you tomorrow," she waved at him and Opie. "It was nice to finally meet you."

"Here," he grabbed the basket before she should. "I'll take it out."

"Thanks," she seemed pleasantly surprised by his offer.

"You don't have to do this," Opie said once they left the cabin. "The laundry and shit."

"Opie," she popped the trunk with her key fob. "It's okay. It's my job. If you tell me to stop or try to fire me, just remember I left the hospital for this. I will literally be out of a job and on my ass."

"I'll talk to Gemma," he huffed.

"You do that," she said, watching as he tossed the laundry in her trunk.

"Anyone up to visit?" He asked with a thumb over his shoulder in the direction of the cabin.

"Uh, Gemma is up sometimes, Jax when he gets all," she moved her hands around a bit, "You know angsty. Some of the others too but I'm not here 24/7 and he's usually at home so," she shrugged.