The house next door has held a dozen or so families and couples since my first male friend, Carson, moved away. I stopped really counting when I was twelve and the twins Amanda and Abigail (my first age-appropriate female friends next door) left. I've often considered that the house may be cursed or something of the like, but I doubt it. The houses in our neighborhood aren't the greatest, and very few people actually choose to settle down in them- my parents being part of the few. So it makes sense that no one really stays long.

My thoughts are split open by the whistle of my kettle coming to a boil. I take it off the stove, pour myself a mug, and drop in a green tea bag.

I look out the window again, wondering. As usual, I've boiled twice the amount that I really need. Maybe someone next door would like a cup as well if they gave me some sugar?

~~~

Standing on their porch, I can see that they might be here for a while- they've got a springy wreath hung up to celebrate Easter, I'm guessing. That's in a little less than a month. They don't hang a wreath if they plan on leaving soon.

I ring the doorbell, unable to knock because of the mugs in both of my hands. I stand for a moment, humming to myself, and hoping they're friendly.

Sometimes we get rude ones- or dangerous ones. Last year, we had a pair of Neo-Nazis who had a hunch that I was a Jew. By ethnicity, I am, I even look like it- brown hair, brown eyes, big-ish nose. But by religion, I'm not. But they didn't care, and they liked to sit on their porch and clean their rifles as they watched me do yard work. They were the worst neighbors I've ever had. Suddenly, I'm regretting going next door without telling my father where I've gone.

"Just a second!" I hear a voice call through the door. In the corner of my eye, I see a curtain flick to the side and go quickly back into place. I hear the deadbolt being un-thrown, and the door opens.

"Oh. Hi," says the girl who opens the door, and for a moment, I have no response.

Damn.

Know this now, I have a thing for redheads. And green eyes. And tall girls.

Hot damn.

She's smiling at me, not sure of who I am or why I'm on her porch. I swallow and try to mimic her easy and open smile. It's not as easy as it looks.

"Hi," I finally shove out of my unruly mouth.

"Hello," she says. She's still not sure as to why there's a girl standing on her porch floundering for anything to say.

"You must be 506. I'm 504," I say, hitching my thumb over my shoulder toward my house and being careful not to spill any of the tea. I'm referring to our house numbers, but I'm not sure if that's as clear to her as it is to me.

"Oh, you live next door," she says, realization hitting her as she swipes one of her flaming curls over her shoulder.

"Yeah..." I say, losing focus. She's really very pretty. I'm also losing her attention. "Anyway, I was making some tea, and as it turns out, we have no sugar in my house. Now, I know you only just moved in, but do you have any sugar?"

"Uhm..." she mumbles, leaning backwards on her mile-long legs, "I'm-"

"I brought two cups just in case you want some?" I slip in hopefully as she's thinking. I hold up the mug in my left hand- the one I intended for her. "Yeah?"

She chuckles slightly. "Yeah."

She opens the door and lets me in to her dark living room. The house is a cookie cutter version of mine- four bedrooms, two bathrooms, and a tiny kitchen. I know where everything is already from my time with various neighbors. She closes the door behind me and motions for me to follow her into the kitchen.