Chapter 8

"Harry...?"  The first devil glances up from his book, closing it once he notices the figure standing in the doorway of his study.

"What brings you here, Louis?", he asks, crossing one leg over the other as he brings one of his hands up to his chin, watching the second devil walk in with curiosity.

"I just had a question, that's all."

"Well, then let's hear it.", Harry prompts, giving the boy permission to ask his question.

"Why her?"

"Why who?"

"Why Jade?  What caused you to choose her?"

"Because that's how it's been over the centuries.  The Thirlwall girl has always sparked my interest.  So, it's a win win situation for me; I get to punish her, as well as take care of my very specific needs."

"I don't think she necessarily has to be punished-"

"She's the reason why we're still freaking devils, Louis!  We could've been angels right now, but she's so goddamn lazy.  The seventh devil brings us misfortune, so it's only fair that I return the favor."

"But must you do it in such an immoral way?"

"How else would I be able to get what I need to satisfy my hunger?"

"Someone else could easily do it if you just asked...", Louis muttered to himself, and Harry narrowed his eyes at him.

"Sorry, I didn't quite catch that..."

"Huh?  Oh...nothing."

"Louis, I don't understand why you're questioning me, especially because you have no right to question any of my orders or doings.  I am the first devil, so therefore I am in charge.  Now, if there is something you'd like to ask that doesn't go against my plan of incarcerating the seventh devil, then please go ahead and do so.  If not, then please leave me to go back to my readings."

"Of course.  I''m sorry to have bothered you."

"It's alright, Mr. Tomlinson.  Just please think before doing so again."

Louis walks out of the room with his shoulders slouched and his head down.  Harry watches him exit the room, feeling a tad guilty for his harsh words.  He never meant to insult or hurt him.  But instead of calling him back to apologize, he lets him walk out, opening his book to the page left off on while Louis shuts the door.

The second devil leans against the door to Harry's study once it's closed, sighing as he runs a hand through his hair, puffing out his cheeks as he exhaled in frustration.

'Why can't he see that I'm better than Jade?'

***

"Liam is dead."

Jesy pauses in the doorway, already knowing who was standing a few feet away from her, arms crossed with an eyebrow raised.

"Good to see you too, Leigh."

She walks past the sixth devil, making her way down the spacious hallway as Leigh-Anne quickly follows her, their heels clicking against the flooring with each step.

"You killed him, didn't you?"  Jesy doesn't answer, knowing it's best to just ignore the girl.  "Answer me!", the girl growls, grabbing the older woman's wrist and yanking her back to make her stop walking, pushing her up against the wall adjacent to them.

"Let go of me!", Jesy growls, but Leigh doesn't back down one bit.

"You're helping the blonde, aren't you!?  You're on Jade's side!"