Chapter 1

Her sneakers made a slight shuffling noise against the laminate white flooring of the school, keeping her head down as she walked, more concerned with the book in her hand than the other students in the halls. When she got to her old and rusty locker, she put in the combination and dumped all of her stuff inside, swatting away some loose fly-aways that fell in front of her eyes with her free hand, tucking them behind her ears to put them back into place with all the other blonde strands of hair.

"Edwards." Her eyes widen as her feet slightly pivot in fright, her heart calming down when she notices that it's just a fellow student, not a serial killer.

"Uh, hi?" She's not exactly one of the most popular girls in school. Sure she has her few friends here and there, but she's never really fit in with the rest of the crowd. That's why it perplexed her when she saw the school's football team captain, standing next to her locker with a cliche charming smile on his face.

"You know, Perrie...there's a party at Sandra's tomorrow night.", he says, his eyes narrowed as he tries to give her a smoldering look, but she just wonders if he forgot his glasses at home or something. "I was wondering if you wanted to go...with me?" Sandra was the most popular girl in school, and he was most likely the most popular guy in school. That fact that he was inviting her to Sandra's party came as a surprise to her. Usually people called her a weirdo, or thought she was too strange to breath the same air as her...but here Jake was, inviting her to a party.

"Uh-uhmm, s-sure, I guess.", she responded, a blush starting to tint her cheeks from the overwhelming feeling of someone actually being nice to her and inviting her to a social gathering. It was a nice feeling, and that's why she didn't hesitate one bit.

"Great. I'll see you tomorrow night then."

"S-see you."

Jake sends her one last wink before turning to walk off towards his other friends. She smiled brightly to herself, excited to see what this new experience would bring.

***

"Jade. Jade? Jade, get up!" Perrie was sure she shouldn't have been doing this, but she was curious as to what the dark skinned girl was doing. It was lunch time, and Perrie was usually alone when she sat outside in the court yard, munching on her sandwich that her mom packed her, but today it was different. There were other people. So, she did what any normal loner would do, and she watched the scene from her vantage point.

"Jade, if you don't get up right now, I'm going to hurt you!" Perrie wondered why the girl with the afro was so mean, her crystal blue eyes watching as she nudges at something with her foot. There's a groan, and then a small whimper.

"Go away, Leigh-Anne.", a small voice says, and Perrie leans her head forward a bit to try and get a view of the other person, but no matter which angle she looked at the situation with, she couldn't see who the second person was.

"Jade! Lunch has already started! Now stop sleeping, and let's go!"

Perrie's guessing that those words did the trick, because she soon sees a figure slowly sit up and enter her line of vision, the girl rubbing her eyes to help herself wake up.

"You're a pain, you know that?"

"Yeah, yeah, now come on! There's tater-tots today, and I want to get there in time to get a bunch before they're all gone!"

"Are tater-tots really that important?"

"Yes! I want to have more than everyone else!"

"Jeez, you're so greedy."

"Don't care, now let's go!"

When Leigh-Anne forcefully pulls the other girl up, Perrie finally get's a good view of the girls face, and she's able to classify it easily.