Prologue III

"How far would you go, to change fate?" He asked me, underneath the shade of the looming pine trees.

"I-" The world flashed before my eyes and I felt a burning sensation in my mind, soon memories begin to fade and zoom past my own consciousness and then..

There I was again, sitting in our homeroom without a care in the world, pessimistic and tired as I breath the meaningless air, of anxiety and sweat, which was basically the anthem of every depressed high school student, ever. But, as I stare longingly out the window. I knew they were watching me, with their red, ominous eyes. They knew who I was, where I am.. everything. I am Janice Mavenhoer.. The Hidden.

Suddenly, a sudden tune breaks my daze. The school anthem blasts its way into the school sound system and the school directress of Maegatown Community College, speaks into the mic. Her voice is stern and clear, as expected of the feared 'Grief Hound of Maegatown', a title jokingly given to her by a batch of expelled students and delinquents, from this very college.

"Attention all students and faculty, of Maegatown Community College. Class is hereby suspended, after an apparent bomb threat, sent through an anonymous number." She announced, but I can hear the nervous clicking of heels, pacing back and forth while gritting her teeth.

"Normally, after all the pranks and damage that happened last month, I'd learn to take a pie in the face, with my mouth open." A couple of students, in our class laugh. "However, due to an increase in crime at Maegatown and frequent sightings of- what was it you said, Lisa?" The entire class became silent, a stroke of fear in their eyes. "...headless trolls." She clears her throat. I've never seen her this anxious before.

"It's best to suspend classes so- if there are anymore questions. Please send them through texts. or emails, through the school hotline."

Our adviser stands up, packing up her belongings with stoic expression. She stares at us with a suspicious glimmer in her eyes, while smiling. "Well, you heard her. Class is dismissed." The class breaths a dead sigh, of relief and as I reach for my bag. I turn around and notice, our adviser, August Relie is standing behind me, with a mischievous and a suspicious glimmer in her eyes.

She moves to the side, examining, judging my appearance. Finally, when everyone is gone, I make my way to the door- fast and suddenly, she grabs me from behind and pulls me into the air. For a 40-year old professor with a minimum wage salary, she has a surprisingly good grip and strength.

"Found you." She whispered, as I struggled to get down. I felt a burning sensation, burn from behind me and horrifically, Miss Relie's wrinkled palms have transformed into black gloves.

Panicking for my life, a memory surges into my mind and I feel my hands, to my thighs and- my hidden knife, is still strapped on my leg. Truth be told- this isn't the first time this has happened, In fact this's the 201st time, this has happened. Confidently, I take the knife and stab their arm and make a run for it.

I hurry to the main gate and-

Everything goes black.

"Not this time.. Janice. It's time.. to face your fate."