Chapter 28 - Xavier

Start from the beginning

"I swear I'm going to look like a whale before we have this baby," Harper uttered in embarrassment.

I couldn't help but laugh at that, and bent to give her a quick peck on the cheek before removing her coat. She wore a figure hugging peach dress which showed off all her curves, and most importantly emphasised her growing belly. I beamed with pride knowing that it was my baby she was carrying. Harper took a deep breath and we walked hand in hand towards the kitchen, and found mum with her back facing towards us stirring a pot and dad sitting at the kitchen island reading the paper. As soon as they heard us come in their attention went straight to the two of us and they smiled. Mums mouth opened to greet us, but her eyes practically bulged out of their eye sockets once she noticed Harper's bump. In the next instant, mum was jumping up and down squealing pointing at the two of us, while dad continued to stare at Harper's baby bump and blinking profusely unable to believe his eyes.

"Surprise," I announced as dad finally came to and walked around the island to pat me on the back and engulf Harper in a big hug. Mum was still jumping for joy, before she too, came barrelling towards dad and Harper and flung him aside before she too engulfed Harper in the tightest hug, which caused Harper to finally relax and laugh at mums antics.

"Congratulations son. You've made me and your mum the happiest people on Earth. How far along is Harper?" Dad beamed at me, while mum dragged Harper towards the table and started fussing over her, probably asking Harper the same thing.

"She's 16 weeks today. We actually came in to ask you and mum if you'd like to come for Harper's 4 month check up tomorrow morning."

Dad looked over at mum, who was still delirious with joy and asking Harper questions about the pregnancy about a mile a minute and Harper nodding her head and answering one question after another.

"I don't think your mums going to be getting any sleep tonight knowing that we get to see our grandchild tomorrow. We'll definitely be there."

"Thanks dad."

"Congratulations son. I should have known something was up with you Harp when I saw Harp sprinting to the bathroom twice to throw up at Macy's wedding two months ago. Does she know?" Dad said.

"I know and for that we're really sorry. Harper's been busy this term with reports and parent/teacher conferences and I've been tied up in meeting after meeting with contractors and clients about our expansion into the European market. Macy was one of the first people to find out while we were in Australia for Alexander's fight. We've barely had time to just relax and enjoy the pregnancy ourselves."

"I know what you mean son. It was the same for me, when I took over the company and mum and I found out she was pregnant with you. We were over the moon and busy with work and settling in as a married couple and it was months before we could finally just relax and enjoy the pregnancy."

We made our way over to mum and Harper, and mum could not stop telling Harper about the different home remedies  that she can take for her morning sickness and how excited she was about the thought of being a grandmother. Once her eyes landed on me she walked over and gave me slap across the head and a scolding for not telling her sooner. Harper burst out in laughter when she took in my shocked face and of course blamed it all on me for not wanting to tell mum and dad earlier. We had brunch before dad and I settled in the lounge to talking shop; while mum dragged Harper off to the mall to buy baby essentials.

"Do you love Harper son?" Dad asked me out of nowhere.

"With all my heart," I answered without conviction.

"Then why haven't you asked her to marry you son?"

"I want to marry Harper as soon as possible but I don't think she's ready for that dad," I answered honestly because although Harper and I were having a baby together and things have been so good between the two of us. I knew for a fact that Harper still had some walls up. Her house would be ready in a few weeks time and I was hoping she'd let me move in with her but she hasn't said a thing. We've practically been living together for the past four months and she's often go over to her place but she'll go alone. I've been dropping hints about wanting to move in with her permanently but she hasn't shown me any indication that she sees our relationship going the distance.

"What makes you think that son?"

I told dad about how I've treated Harper in the past and how after the first time I saw her crying that I fell in love with her. I shared everything that we've been through together and the shame that I constantly feel when I reflect on my behaviour towards her. I told him that I wake up every morning feeling grateful that Harper is even with me. I tell him that I want to make Harper my wife and have a big family with her. Take her and our baby around the world. I tell him everything and through it all he just smiles and nods his head at all the hopes of dreams I want for me and Harper.

"You've got your work cut out for you don't you son," is his reply.

"Don't I know it," I reply.

Dad's phone starts ringing and he picks up and the colour completely drains from his face, which instantly makes me panic. He hangs up before looking at me with dead in his eyes and instantly I know somethings bad. My world literally tips on its axis at the words that come out of his mouth.

"Mum and Harper have been in an accident and that was the hospital that just called."