Chapter 3 - Part 2

A little later there was a soft knock on my bedroom door.

"Come in," I said, distractedly before looking up to see my father in the doorway to my bedroom.

"Your mom told me," he said walking to my bed. For once I was glad I wouldn't have to talk about it again.

I shifted over to make space beside me and he sat down. I burrowed into his side as he put his arm around me and hugged me.

"I'm sorry Princess," he murmured. I nodded against his shoulder.

"How's she coping?" he asked and I broke away from him with a shrug.

"I don't know," I said, feeling emotional again but not sure I had the energy to deal with it. "She is going through so much...I can't even imagine what she's thinking. She needs me to be there for her and I can't do that if I'm falling to pieces."

"Maybe she just needs you anyway you can be there for her," he murmured, in his wise father voice. I swallowed the emotion stuck in my throat.

"I suck as a best friend." I let out a heavy sigh.

My father shook his head. "You're her best friend for a reason. You know how to handle her when she is going through a tough time. You know better than anyone how to help her cope with this."

My father had this way of turning things around and making me look at them differently.

"But I'm not coping," I admitted to him, feeling lost.

"And that's okay." He hugged me again and I rested my head against his shoulder.

He patted my back and I felt like the little girl who ran to him when I scraped my knees or when a boy had tugged one my pigtails on the playgrounds.

"If you need to talk about it or anything else you know I'm here for you," he whispered

"What would I do without you?" I sighed.

"Supper should be ready. Are you hungry?" he asked when I straightened up.

"Not at the moment. I'll get something a little later."

He gave me a kiss on the forehead before he left my room closing the door behind him.

I stared at my phone that lay on my bed, trying to decide if I should call Lacey again. She hadn't returned my call from earlier. I picked up my phone and held it. Then I dropped it back on the bed when I decided to give her until tomorrow to call me back before I would try again.

Hunger pains finally forced me to go downstairs a little later to find something to eat. I got some leftovers from supper which was spaghetti and meatballs. I ate as much as I could staring off into space unable to stop thinking about my friend and her journey ahead.

Not only was it a scary experience it brought home the realisation that despite the fact that we were so young we were mortal and that is what scared me the most.

Only old people, who had lived a lifetime of happy memories, were supposed to die. Not someone who hadn't even started to live yet. It was just so unfair.

It was past midnight before I fell into a restless sleep. Thankfully I didn't have nightmares but when I woke up I didn't feel rested at all and the thought of going to college felt like a mountain I couldn't climb.

So like the day before I lived task to task, not allowing myself to contemplate too far into an uncertain future.

There were more than a few times I wanted to call Aiden and find out how he was coping. Maybe he had figured out a way to deal with it and still be there for Lacey. But each time I thought about phoning him I thought about Max, who I should be sharing this with but I couldn't. He lacked the understanding I needed from him.

I called Lacey one more time before I gave up without leaving a message when she didn't answer.

My day dragged on like it had the day before. Each class required focus and energy I couldn't seem to muster. I was even distracted when I drove home. Twice someone behind me had to hoot at me because I hadn't noticed the traffic light had changed to green.

There was a car parked out side my house that I didn't immediately recognise when I got home. When I got out I saw Aiden get out the car parked beside mine.

"What's wrong?" I asked walking to him, feeling nervous the way my stomach fluttered. My eyes were glued to his face trying to decipher if he was here to bring some bad news.

"I think we should talk inside," he said.

That didn't sound good. I hurried to the door and opened it. Aiden followed me in and I closed the door.

I dropped my school bag. "What is it?"

His eyes finally met mine and a chill raced up my spine. "I went to see Lacey."

It was bad news. I could see it in his eyes, his tight features and the slump in his shoulders.

I kept silent as I waited for him to continue, too scared of what he was going to reveal.

"She's delaying the surgery."

His words didn't make sense. It took me a few seconds before the meaning sank in. "But she needs the surgery."

He nodded.

I shook my head. "I don't understand."

He took my hand into his and led me to living room. I sank down on the sofa and he sat beside me.

"When she wouldn't return my calls I went to see her. She told me she is delaying the surgery by a couple of weeks so she has time to live."

I was numb. The reality of her situation was rearing its ugly head again. I stared at Aiden's lips, they were moving but I wasn't hearing anything he was saying.

I stood and began to pace. "But she needs the surgery." My words jolted me out of my trance.

"The odds are against her and she's afraid she won't make it through the surgery."

Not make it through the surgery. The words vibrated through me, making me feel like my legs were jelly.

"Sit down," Aiden murmured pulling me back down to sit beside him.

He held both my arms and levelled his gaze to mine. "Look at me."

I blinked a couple of times before I followed his command and pulled my eyes to fix on his.

"There you go," he murmured softly.

"How can she do that?" I asked, feeling bewildered she was trying to avoid doing the only thing that could save her. If she went ahead with the surgery she at least had a chance.

When I thought about what would happen to her without the surgery my lungs froze and it became difficult to breathe.

"Breathe in," Aiden coached me and I tried to do as he instructed. "Breathe out."

I tried to focus on his words and not on the thoughts racing through my mind. It eased the pressure on my chest.

"You okay?" For the first time I became aware of his hands still on my arms and the proximity of his face to mine. He was so close.

I nodded and he released my arms.

"I know it's a lot for you to take in but she needs you to be strong." He ran a hand through his hair. "She needs us to be strong."

Us. He was struggling with it, just like I was.

"I thought I'd give you a heads up. She'll probably tell you soon so take the time you have and process what you need to."

"Thanks. I appreciate it."

"You're welcome," he said. For the first time I saw him, not just as a friend of Max's or Lacey's but as a guy.

And that wasn't a good sign.